Quiera Lampkins (5) goes up for a layup against UT Martin in the Convocation Center on November 18th, 2016 MATT STARKEY

Women's Basketball: Three things to pay attention to for the remainder of the season

Four games into the season, Ohio is already better than it was a year ago. Kiyanna Black is history and Ohio has moved on. That’s good for Ohio that the team has found a way to play without her. 

As for this year's team, the stars are Quiera Lampkins and Jasmine Weatherspoon. They will need to continue to carry the Bobcats.

Just four games into the season, let's take a look at some things to look forward to the remainder of the season.

Starting five

Coming into the season, Coach Bob Boldon wasn't sure who he wanted to start. He knew Lampkins, Weatherspoon and Yamonie Jenkins would fill three spots, the other two were wild cards.

For the past three games, the lineup has been the same: Taylor Agler, Kelly Karlis, Lampkins, Jenkins and Weatherspoon. Has Boldon found a team that can play well together on the floor already?

Last season, he didn’t have a solidified starting five until mid-December. The combination of Agler and Jenkins in the backcourt provide a unique chemistry. Both have very similar playing styles and compliment each other well. Both are so similar, and in the early part of the season, Boldon swapped Agler for Jenkins and vice versa.

But on the court together, the two are scrappy and aggressive on defense and physical with the ball, constantly driving the lane and looking to set up an outside shot or draw a foul.

The addition of Karlis was most likely to add some height to the starters. At 6-foot-2, Karlis is the second tallest player on the team (behind Weatherspoon). Through the end of November, Boldon looks like he has found a squad that can be productive. But as he has said all season, no one's place is guaranteed. With the competition heavy and a lot of depth, don’t be surprised to see a shift in the lineup as the season progresses.

Playing against the zone

Whenever people mention the Bobcats, there is no getting around not talking about their zone offense.

They have been tested already and are anticipating every team to match up against them in the zone. At the beginning of games, the team is a little shaky when it comes to the trying to break the zone, whether it’s a 2-3 or 3-2 zone.

Thomas More was Ohio’s toughest test in terms of the multiple defensive sets they played including both zones.

It’s still early in the season, Ohio (4-0) has a lot of time to get comfortable with playing against different types of defenses and zones. What it need to find is a consistent strategy on how to crack the zone without changing its game too much.

The tough is yet to come

The toughest part of the Ohio’s nonconference schedule is about to begin. Nothing against the competition Ohio has already faced, but with two Big Ten teams coming up on the roster, Ohio has to get ready for next level basketball.

Boldon wanted to challenge his team this year and they will get that challenge before his team begins conference play.

Last season, Ohio lost by nine to Illinois. The Bobcats played most of the game behind, but always managed to draw close when Illinois would pull away up until the last minutes.

This year, Ohio wants revenge.

A win against Illinois and a win against Michigan could potentially see Ohio get an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament after being in the “first four out” last year.

Though November is wrapping up and there is a lot of the season to go, Ohio is already off to a better start than a year ago. Now it’s a matter of staying consistent, starting games stronger and perfecting the zone offense.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu