An OUPD vehicle is parked outside of Scott Quad. (JOSHUA LIM | FILE)

Police Blotter: Washington Hall sees multiple alcohol arrests, Florida-bound man just wants to nap

As political tensions grew in the days leading up to the 2016 elections, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a number of politically-related calls over the course of the week.

At approximately 9:30 a.m. Sunday, deputies responded to a report that political signs had been stolen from an individual’s yard. By the time law enforcement arrived, however, the man had already caught the “two boys” in the act, recovering his missing signs. No further action was taken, according to the police report.

A day later, the Sheriff’s Office responded to Spreading Oaks Village, an Athens trailer park, in response to reports of trespassing. According to the police report, the property owner approached two individuals who were going door to door “distributing political literature” and called authorities to remove them once they became argumentative. Contact was made with the involved parties who were then told to leave the property.

The Ohio University Police Department, however, saw a much quieter week following a raucous Halloween, with four reports of theft, three drug charges, four alcohol-related reports, one incident of aggravated trespassing, one report of criminal mischief and one “unfounded” drug-related report.

Washington Wasted

It was an early morning and a rude wake-up call for a handful of Washington Hall residents Sunday as OUPD responded to three separate alcohol-related calls over the course of two hours.

At approximately 12:30 a.m., the department received a report of an intoxicated male, who, when located by officers, was arrested in connection with disorderly conduct and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, according to the police report.

Just a half-hour later, another officer was dispatched to Washington Hall in response to a complaint of an intoxicated female, who was found “passed out on the toilet” in one of the hall’s restrooms. EMS was called to the scene to transport the individual to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital, but not before the officer located a fake driver’s license in the pocket of her phone case.

An hour and a half later, resident assistants from Washington Hall called OUPD in regards to a male “passed out” on the second floor of the building. According to the police report, the individual smelled strongly of alcohol, had bloodshot, watery eyes and was unaware of the location of the friends he was visiting. He was subsequently charged in connection with disorderly conduct and transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

A Walk to Remember

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to concerns Saturday of a man who was “laying (sic) along the roadway” near the Trimble/Jacksonville village limits sign, according to a police report.

Upon making contact with the officers, the individual dismissed worries, telling deputies that he was simply “resting” before continuing his walk to Florida. No further action was taken in the case.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu