An OUPD vehicle is parked outside of Scott Quad. (JOSHUA LIM | FILE)

Police Blotter: Dozens walk away from Halloween weekend in handcuffs

Though Halloween weekend has come and gone, partiers have dispersed back to residence halls, and the last of the debris has been swept away, the Ohio University Police Department has remained busy dealing with the aftermath of the biggest party of the year.

The Halloween festivities ended early for one Scott Quad resident, who was arrested just outside the police station on the building’s first floor, after staggering into a man outside — who just happened to be an OUPD captain.

Although the Athens Block Party was just getting started, the individual already had a “very strong odor” of alcohol, bloodshot eyes and slurred speech, according to the report. Officers also noted his clothes were in a “disheveled” state, blood covered his face and he was “very lethargic” in his movements.

The individual was arrested for underage intoxication and transported to the Athens Police Department’s mass booking.

Halloween weekend proved to be the busiest weekend of the Fall Semester for local law enforcement, with thousands taking to the streets for the annual Athens Block Party — overall, police issued more than 150 citations.

OUPD reported 76 incidents over the course of the week, including 27 drug charges, 27 related to alcohol, 13 citations for public urination, two assaults on officers, seven reports of theft, three obstructions of justice and a report of criminal mischief.

Banana Pee(l)

As a majority of Mill Street parties were brought to a close Saturday night, forcing hoards of revelers on an uptown exile, one individual’s poorly-timed bathroom break landed him in handcuffs.

At approximately 10 p.m., an OUPD officer observed a man in a banana costume “standing in a dark corner” with his “hands at his waist” near a Kurtz Street residence, according to the police report.

Upon making contact with the individual, the officer noted that he had “wet stains on his pants,” smelled of alcohol and had red, watery eyes, according to a police report. When asked to provide personal information, the man “repeatedly lied,” telling officers he was 21, despite being underage.

The officer arrested the individual for public urination and obstruction of justice, transporting him to the mobile operations unit before he was released.

Citations for public urination were at a semester high over Halloween weekend, with nearly half occurring at the same Mill Street address, at approximately the same time.

Open Carry Calamity

Generally, taking the road less-traveled by is looked upon as a good thing — unless that road leads directly to local law enforcement’s mobile investigative unit.

At approximately 8:30 p.m. Saturday, officers spotted a man walking through Parking Lot 41 carrying an open can of Bud Light. Upon being approached by police, the individual took off running and proceeded to wrestle with officers “in attempt not to be arrested,” according to the police report.

However, the man was arrested and served three charges for open container, resisting arrest and obstruction of justice. He was subsequently transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu