Students staying on campus for Thanksgiving break will be able to attend a Thanksgiving dinner in the Living Learning Commons on South Green (FILE).

Some OU students stay on campus for Thanksgiving Break

Traveling back home for the long holiday weekend can be pricey, so some students elect to stay in their residence halls over the break.

Jneanne Hacker, director for Business Operations and Conference Services, said approximately 120 students indicated they would be staying on campus for the upcoming break. All residence halls will remain open over the long holiday weekend, and students are able to remain in their room at no cost, Hacker said in an email.

“Housing and Residence Life sent a text to all students to garner who might be on campus over the extended holiday weekend,” Hacker said in an email.

Housing and Residence Life uses that information to plan for meals and activities, which will be hosted in the Living Learning Center on South Green.

“Housing and Residence Life will be co-sponsoring two meals in collaboration with Culinary Services,” Hacker said. “We extended an invite to any student staying on campus to join us in the Living Learning Center for a meal on Thanksgiving Thursday for a meal on a day when most uptown establishments and eateries will be closed.”

Shively Dining Hall closed after dinner Monday, and Nelson Dining Court and The District on West Green will both close after lunch Tuesday. West 82 will have limited hours from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday and 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday. The Front Room Coffeehouse will be open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday. Nelson and The District will re-open for dinner on Sunday, and Shively will open for lunch Monday.

Kayla Myrthil, a sophomore studying psychology, thinks an event is a good idea.

“People will be able to get together with others and not feel as lonely,” Myrthil said.

Housing and Residence Life offered similar events last year, and approximately 60 students attended the scheduled events.

“By doing so, we are able to provide some meal options for students during a period of time in which their meal plan is not accessible,” Hacker said. “These events also provide an opportunity for students to have some fun, meet other students and have a few meals during a time when there are limited students on campus.”

Marechan Burrows, an undecided freshman, decided to stay on campus mainly because it would be expensive to fly back home.

“All of my family is in the Bahamas, and the cost of going home for three days is insane,” Burrows said. “So, I just decided to stay here and go home for Christmas.”

Burrows said where she is from, they do not celebrate Thanksgiving.

“We don’t have any school days off or anything,” Burrows said. “When I came here and everybody was talking about Thanksgiving and going home, I was kind of surprised to see how big it was.”

Burrows plans on attending the Thanksgiving dinner held by Housing and Residence Life.

“I’m planning on to take my mind off not having family and friends here,” Burrows said. “It sounded like it should be fun, so I’ll give it a try.”

@TF_Johnston

tj369915@ohio.edu