A chilled water plant is being constructed on South Green. (FILE)

Upperclassmen to be placed in Hoover House next academic year due to limited residence hall space

Upperclassmen who want to live on campus will likely find themselves moving into Hoover House, located on South Green, next academic year.

The residence hall will hold most third and fourth-year students who apply to live in residence halls, according to an email from Housing and Residence Life. Last academic year, 80 upperclassman students were denied to live in a residence hall.

“Consistent with past years, the availability of spaces for upperclass housing is largely determined by occupancy projections for first and second year students compared with the total number of spaces in our inventory,” the email stated.

Students will have to fill out an “Intent to Return” application by Nov. 30, available on the "Applications" tab of the MyHousing portal, and they will be notified if they are approved to live in a residence hall next academic year by Dec. 5.

“I lived in Dougan my sophomore year,” Megan Molnar, a graduate student studying college student personnel, said. “I loved it as a sophomore, but I would not be happy there as a junior or a senior.”

Dougan House and Hoover House are part of Wray Complex.

If students want to select an alternative residence hall, they will be entered into a room selection lottery, according to the email.

That lottery will take place in March 2017, in which students will be given a random, computer-generated selection date and time without priority given for class standing, the email stated.

“I would expect a junior or a senior would get to pick first,” Molnar said. 

Each floor in Hoover House is separated into three mods, Housing and Residence Life's website reads. The first and second floors of the residence hall have limited air conditioning while the third and fourth floors have air conditioning in every room, according to the website.

Hoover House can house a total of 160 students, Pete Trentacoste, executive director of Housing and Residence Life, said in an email.

He said for the past four years, about 200 upperclass students are elected to live on campus after completing their required first and second year in the residence halls.

Housing and Residence Life chose Hoover House to house most of the upperclassmen due to its large number of single-occupant rooms, a smaller student-to-bathroom ratio and access to a kitchen, according to the email from Housing and Residence Life.

“This hall was intentionally selected to support the demand of single room requests and to provide access to a kitchen for students who choose not to purchase a meal plan,” the email stated.

Hoover House has 81 singles and 39 doubles, according to the Housing and Residence Life website.

Accepted students will be entered into a selection lottery to choose a room in Hoover Hall on March 16 and 17, the email read.

If more students apply than there are spaces available, an email will be sent Dec. 5 to communicate the timeline for application review and if additional student information is needed, the email stated.

Last year, an email was sent to 3,216 students explaining space would be limited for the next academic year, according to a previous Post report. Of that number, 121 students completed the “Intent to Return” application and 41 were approved for on-campus living.

This year, if a review process is necessary, students will be notified Jan. 3 if they received a place on campus, according to the email.

@Fair3Julia

jf311013@ohio.edu