Ohio forward Jasmine Weatherspoon looks to pass around Kent State guard Larissa Lurken during a game on Feb. 24. Along with Yamonie Jenkins and Quiera Lampkins, Weatherspoon is one of three seniors who are looking to lead the team back to the NCAA Tournament. (FILE) 

Women's Basketball: Jasmine Weatherspoon posts double-double in 87-50 win over Thomas More

Jasmine Weatherspoon said she wanted to become a better shooter this season. A solid driver to the basket, Weatherspoon wanted to add a jump shot to her game.

Weatherspoon showed an improved jump shot, and more, in Ohio’s exhibition game against Thomas More on Saturday, leading the Bobcats to an 87-50 win.

Weatherspoon scored a team-high 21 points with 61.5 percent shooting, grabbed 12 rebounds and tallied three steals. She went 3-of-5 from the three-point line.

“Anything you can do to diversify your game makes you a better basketball player,” coach Bob Boldon said. “The more diversity we can have out there as far as shooters, drivers, the better we’ll be.”

Last season, Weatherspoon shot 24.4 percent from the three-point line. She has always got to the basketball at will, but her improved jump shot will be beneficial for Ohio’s offense.

With Weatherspoon producing well on the offensive end, this will help take pressure off Quiera Lampkins. Lampkins did not play Saturday to rest.

Weatherspoon will perhaps be the team’s No. 2 option behind Lampkins. Lampkins is the team’s best player, and with Weatherspoon showing her abilities, Ohio’s offense has the potential to be balanced in its scoring.

Though Weatherspoon played well, Boldon said the team has a long way to go. Ohio’s first regular season game will be at High Point on Nov. 13.

The rotation still needs to be considered, but Boldon is sure of one thing: Weatherspoon will start.

“Jasmine’s been playing well all preseason, and it was nice to see her translate it over on the court," he said.”

Along with Weatherspoon’s contributions, senior Hannah Boesinger showed how she could be another contributor for the offense behind Lampkins. Boesinger scored 10 points.

Boesinger and Weatherspoon have the potential to be the main contributors behind Lampkins this season. The combo showed how they can provide an inside presence for Ohio, particularly by crashing the boards for rebounds.

“I liked it,” Boldon said of the combination. “That’s kind of what we wanted to see. That’s kind of what I guessed I hoped would happen. They’re two of our better rebounders, and obviously rebounding is something we don’t do particularly well.

Though Boesinger and Weatherspoon helped lead the way for Ohio, point guard Yamonie Jenkins contributed as well, scoring 12 points and leading the team in assists with four.

Ohio’s offense was solid all around, shooting 46 percent from the field and 32.3 percent from the three-point line. The Bobcats’ motion offense was in full form. Whether they worked the ball around for a jump shot or drove to the basket for a layup, Ohio got solid, open shots.

The Bobcats defense wasn’t too shabby, either. Ohio flew around the perimeter like hawks, forcing Thomas More to commit 26 turnovers; Ohio had six steals.  

Ohio had a solid exhibition game against Thomas More. With Weatherspoon showing her potential to be a No. 2 option, the Bobcats have reason to believe that their offense will be balanced.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu