Jordan Dartis (#35) loses control of the ball during Ohio’s game against Marshall on Nov. 30, 2016. (FILE)

Basketball: 'D' is key in longterm success of Bobcats

HUNTINGTON, W. Va. — Ohio departed for Huntington with an undefeated record and an impressive start to the season; it left with an eye-opening defensive performance that raised more questions than answers.

Ohio lost 98-88 to Marshall on Tuesday night, which snapped a perfect record and found cracks in the Bobcats’ wobbly defense.

The Bobcats didn’t look bad in their loss. Instead, they resembled a strong basketball team that still has its flaws.

“We’ve been good this year defensively,” coach Saul Phillips said after the game. “Tonight, not.”

Entering the rivalry game, the Bobcats held opponents to an average of 65 points per game. It was at 65-60 in the second half where Ohio slowly drifted away.

“I’ve statistically had much bigger meltdowns,” Phillips said. “But I expect more from this team.

Maybe Tuesday wasn’t a meltdown; maybe it was a team entering unfamiliar territory in a season that’s still relatively young.

Once it surpassed 65, Marshall’s offense packed more venom. The home team freely moved the ball around the perimeter and into the lane with ease. Passing lanes got wider, too.

Phillips knew defense would be the most worrisome part of the program.

As the season approached, he reminded reporters his primary goal of the offseason was to improve Ohio’s defensive prowess. Ohio could score on opponents, but could it stop them from scoring?

Tuesday showed more work is required. And perhaps for all the offseason drills and film Phillips could apply about defense, the Marshall loss was an in-game reminder of the main area where Ohio needs improvement.

Short term, losing to Marshall is a bad outcome. Statistically, Ohio is a better team and has a broader spread of talent through its roster. Long term, though, could reveal a more important trait.

While the loss might just be an off night for a good team, it might be the moment where a good team finds its main obstacle from being great.

A month into the season, Ohio is 4-1. The team now has another month of non-conference play before losses will truly have stingy consequences.

Just like the offseason, Phillips and the Bobcats have plenty to fix. The first chance to do so comes Saturday afternoon against Bryant in The Convo.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu