Provided via Youtube

TV Review: Second season of ‘Fuller House’ is better, still not great

The Fuller household is nearing maximum capacity as it introduces a multitude of new characters. The second season of Fuller House is better than the first, but don’t get too excited — it’s still not exceptional.

The second season picks up in the fall, a few months after DJ decided to spend the summer focusing on herself rather than be in a relationship. When we see her, she has finally made a decision but her suitors have moved on. Several new characters were introduced in the season. Kimmy Gibbler’s (Andrea Barber) husband, Fernando (Juan Pablo Di Pace), becomes a regular and moves into the house. Stephanie Tanner (Jodie Sweetin) manages to find a nice man who she can see herself settling down with, but there is just one problem — he’s a Gibbler. Yes, Stephanie is dating Kimmy’s younger brother, Jimmy Gibbler (Adam Hagenbuch).

Season one of Fuller House struggled with balancing adult and child-like humor. The latest season does a better job of incorporating subtle jokes geared toward adults and amping up the cheesy, sitcom humor the show needed. In doing so, the children are in each episode more frequently and often have their own storylines to follow. The middle Fuller, Max (Elias Harger), is still the cutest of the three children and is given the best lines. Harger has the capability to deliver his lines. The actor who plays the oldest son, Jackson (Michael Campion), on the other hand, lacks the ability to deliver his lines in an authentic manner. At one point during the season, he was supposed to be genuinely upset, but it came off as if he were pretending. Though the acting in run-of-the-mill sitcoms is never top-notch, the acting in Fuller House needs to improve a little bit in order to connect with the audience more.

Similar to the first season, Fuller House nods to the original series, Full House, with cameos and reminiscent flashbacks. In one episode, Stephanie’s rebel friend Gia (Marla Sokoloff) comes back to perform in Girl Talk, a band that was formed in the later seasons of Full House. DJ’s favorite boy band, New Kids on the Block, makes an appearance, as well as Alan Thicke, who recently died. Past love interests of DJ and Kimmy returned, including Viper (David Lipper), a recasted Nelson (Hal Sparks), and Duane (Scott Menville), who was not very talkative in the original series but is now a motivational speaker. Bure and Sweetin do not want everyone to forget they were on Dancing with the Stars because Bruno Bertinelli appears in one episode to teach Kimmy’s daughter Ramona (Soni Bringas) how to dance. Some of those cameos were all right, but the constant stream is a little overwhelming.

One aspect of the series that is tiring is the focus on DJ’s love life. In the second season, DJ is still battling over her feelings for the hunky veterinary doctor Matt (John Brotherton) and her high school sweetheart Steve (Scott Weinger). Love was never a focus in Full House — it was just something added in when it needed to be. A thing to keep in mind is DJ lost her husband about two years ago, and she is showing no struggle with moving on. The struggle was barely present in the first season and is non-existent in the second. Just because the lead characters are women does not mean they all have to be in a relationship throughout the duration of the series.

Season two of Fuller House is significantly better than the first, but it is just not completely to the caliber it needs to be. If it cleans up some of the acting and continues to work on balancing the show, it could content with its predecessor, Full House.

Rating: 2.5/5

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu