Taylor Agler walks off the court during Ohio's game against North Kentucky on Nov. 21. Ohio won 58-41. (FILE)

Women's Basketball: Ohio defense strangles Duquesne offense in win

From the opening tip, Ohio made it clear that this was a different team from the one Duquesne had defeated by 17 points last season.

Ohio opened the game on a 13-3 run, knifing its way through Duquesne’s 3-2 zone defense and denying any whims of post scoring from the Dukes en route to a 64-46 victory at The Convo.

“I thought our kids were pretty locked in and had a good idea of what (the Dukes) were gonna try do and really set the tone for the game defensively,” coach Bob Boldon said.

The Bobcats didn’t make a field goal for the rest of the quarter, but the hot start proved a point Boldon had been making all season: The more the season progressed, the more opposing film his staff would be able to scout. The more information available on opponents, the better prepared his team would be.

That sentiment couldn’t have rang any more correct Saturday. The Bobcats expertly rotated behind every fronted post entry the Dukes tried. 

Guards awaited the perfect moment to jump the attempts to throw over the heads of Ohio defenders and either tipped them away, snatched the ball away from the unsuspecting post player or forced the ball back outside with a double team.

The strategy also resulted in errant post entries from Duquesne passers who noticed and were spooked by the the gnat-like help defense.

“That’s what we do,” Boldon said. “We’re not the biggest team, we’re fairly athletic. So, teams generally try to beat us up that way and we have a system for that and we practice that. It’s nice to see that practice start to pay off, especially this early in the season.”

For a brief stretch in the second quarter, Duquesne was able to leverage the Ohio focus on the post into open 3-pointers. The Dukes started 3-of-4 from 3-point territory in the second quarter and they tied the game at 24 with 4:34 left in the half.

Ohio adjusted, however, and brought the lead back to six before halftime.

Quiera Lampkins was the offensive catalyst for Ohio, scoring 17 points in the first half, then leveraging the extra attention Duquesne paid her in the second half into open shots for her teammates.

“I think (the Dukes) probably came out expecting me to get the ball more,” Lampkins said. “They started sagging in, and didn’t realize that we have great shooters on the perimeter. I’m willing to pass out and are my shooters are willing to make their shot.”

The game broke open in the third quarter, again because of the stingy Ohio defense. The Bobcats allowed just six points in the third quarter, and finally started to make some of the open 3-pointers they had been getting all game.

The defense was stellar, but the reason it was able to shine through was the rebounding. Despite being without 6-foot-2 Kelly Karlis, the Bobcats held a rebounding advantage throughout much of the game, and allowed just nine offensive rebounds.

“You hate to see good defensive possessions go to waste,” Boldon said. “We’ve experienced that a number of times and a whole lot last year. We’re never gonna be the bigger team, but I thought we were the tougher team (today).”

The players wouldn’t admit it, but beating two NCAA Tournament caliber teams in one week is a big step for the program Boldon has built in Athens. Tougher challenges lay ahead, but the Bobcats wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I think (playing big teams) is what (the players) want,” Boldon said. “We scheduled this way intentionally. These guys want to be challenged. I don’t know that they’re interested in playing teams they know they’re gonna beat. That’s not a lot of fun anymore.” 

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu