Elena Patz swims in the 200-yard butterfly during the Bobcats’ meet with Ball State at the Ohio University Aquatic Center on Jan. 30. (FILE)

Swim and Dive: Ohio loses its final meet of 2016

Ohio lost its third straight dual meet to end the fall season, this time against Marshall, 173 -127 on Friday evening.

The Bobcats continued their dominance of freestyle events in dual meets winning four of the five races that took place.

Mikayla Herich led Ohio with first place finishes in both the 500 and 1000-yard freestyles along with second in the 400-yard individual medley. It was the third win on the season for Herich in the 500-yard freestyle and the second in the 1000-yard freestyle.

Emily Zimcosky added the third freestyle win for the Bobcats in the 200-yard freestyle and finished second in the 100-yard freestyle, the only freestyle event Ohio did not win.

The fourth and final freestyle win for Ohio was by Corrin Van Lanen in the 50-yard freestyle for the fourth time this season. This was the first time this season Van Lanen has not won multiple races at a dual meet as she barely missed out on a first place in the 100-yard butterfly by 0.24 seconds.

The only win for Ohio in an event other than freestyle against Marshall was by Laura Dawson in the 200-yard backstroke. It was her second win in that event this season, also adding a second-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke.

Ohio had a solid day in both diving events, as Nicole Hughes finished third in the 3-meter and fourth in the 1-meter for her best two finishes of the season. Olivia Dillon added a sixth-place finish in the 3-meter and second in the 1-meter.

Ohio returns to the pool on Jan. 7 in Athens against Denison.

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu