Bromley Hall is located at the corner of High and Union streets.

More than 120 Ohio University students scheduled to stay on campus during Winter Break

While most Ohio University students go home after a week of finals, some students choose to remain on campus during Winter Break.

Housing and Residence Life has received housing applications from 126 student to stay on campus during winter break, Jneanne Hacker, director for Business Operations and Conference Services, said.

“At this time, all students who applied for break housing will be staying on campus,” Hacker said in an email. “We anticipate that there might be a few cancellations or a few additions; however, we ultimately won’t know until Saturday, Dec. 10.”

There will be a cost to stay on-campus during Winter Break.

“The costs of housing is $30 a day, $125 a week or $400 for the entire break period,” Hacker said in an email. “A charge is assessed to cover the cost of staffing and to fund several engagement opportunities for students staying on campus.”

Only certain halls will be open on campus for students to reside in during winter break. In order for students to stay on campus during the break period, they had to sign up online.

“James, Boyd, Bromley and Luchs Hall will remain open to accommodate the need for break housing. Students residing in these halls will be permitted to remain in their current room provided that a reservation has been made,” Hacker said in an email.

Students from other residence halls who need a place to stay on campus during Winter Break will be temporarily assigned a shared space in Bromley, Hacker said.

“To accommodate students transitioning into Bromley, we will use several rooms that are completely vacant. The rooms are not considered student rooms and are able to accommodate four students per room,” Hacker said in an email.

Students can return to their residence halls starting Jan. 7 at 9 a.m.

Last year, more than 150 students were scheduled to stay on campus during Winter Break. Those students were housed in Fenzel House and Sargent Hall.

This will be the third time Jacob Haskins, a senior studying specialized studies, has stayed on campus for Winter Break.

“I’m a Resident Assistant, so they pay me to cover shifts over winter break to make sure the halls are safe,” Haskins, the University Life Commissioner for Student Senate, said.

He said he has some ideas of what he will do in order to stay occupied during Winter Break.

“I’m applying to grad schools right now so I’m going to do a lot of that, like writing my personal statements and looking for people to write letters of recommendation for me,” Haskins said.

In previous years, Haskins has kept busy with work while staying on campus .

“There was a building that had a hot water problem, so I went through with a contractor to make sure that they did not mess with any other student’s belongings,” Haskins said.

Zach Logsdon, a sophomore studying meteorology, will be staying in Athens over break.

“I decided to stay on campus for work,” Logsdon said. “I work at Broney’s."

This is Logsdon’s first time staying in Athens for winter break.

“I think the costs for staying on campus are pretty ridiculous, so I am staying at a friend’s house,” Logsdon said.

During winter break, all dining halls will be closed, Hacker said. However, Front Room Coffeehouse will be open through Dec. 16 and the Steam Station Café will be open through Dec. 21.

There will also be some events for students to participate in on campus during the break.

“Although plans have not been finalized, Housing and Residence Life will host a series of events to provide students an opportunity to engage with other students, and join Housing and Residence Life Staff members for a meal or two,” Hacker said in an email.

@TF_Johnston

tj369915@ohio.edu