Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Kayak-hunters accidentally shot a building, 'sometimes girlfriend' accused of attempted theft

Two students looking to make off with a few relics of their time at Ohio University were met with a matching pair of criminal mischief charges Saturday night following a foiled plot involving bricks.

At approximately 11:40 p.m., an Ohio University Police Department officer on patrol discovered two individuals who were using a screwdriver in an attempt to remove bricks near the Alden Library loading dock. Both were apprehended and charged with criminal mischief before returning the bricks to their original place, according to the police report.

Over the course of the week, OUPD responded to 12 drug-related incidents, one instance of public urination, three thefts, three reports of criminal mischief and five alcohol-related incidents.

The 'Sometimes' Thief

On Saturday, deputies with the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to a domestic violence complaint from The Plains. Upon arrival, deputies say the man who reported the incident alleged that his “sometimes girlfriend” had been at the residence, and had attempted to steal his debit card. 

Although the complaint was originally classified as a domestic dispute, the man told deputies there had been no threats of any type of violence, and that the woman had left prior to the arrival of law enforcement. Having deemed that no further assistance was necessary, deputies left the scene, and the case was closed.

Not-so-sharpshooters

That same day, ACSO deputies were called to a hunting-related incident just outside Nelsonville. According to the report, several people who had been “hunting from kayaks” on the Hocking River accidentally shot a building belonging to Dana’s Tire Center.

Though no one was injured, the hunters were found on the river and detained by officers from the Nelsonville and Hocking College Police Departments. The officers collected their statements and the case was turned over to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

Falling For You

At about midnight Saturday, an OUPD officer observed a man in front of Bromley Hall engaged in a verbal altercation with a woman, who “fell down on the sidewalk” when the man walked away. The officer made contact with the woman, who, according to the police report, smelled strongly of alcohol, had bloodshot eyes and was “very lethargic” in her movements.

The woman, who was discovered to be of drinking age, was arrested on the charge of disorderly conduct by intoxication and transported to the OUPD station, where she was later released to a sober friend.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu