Kayla Beard is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University.

What Would You Wear: Fashion forward; moving fashion weeks into the 21st century

This season’s round of fashion weeks is looking to be a great one with lots of innovative styles, classic and revamped trends as well as bold new color combinations making their way down international runways. In the spirit of 2017, however, traditions are being challenged, boundaries are being pushed and new innovations are bringing the fashion industry into the 21st century.

One of the most noteworthy innovations so far is a move by several designers to blend genders in the men’s fashion shows. So far in London, Paris and Milan, designers have debuted both men’s and women’s styles at men’s wear shows. Flying in the face of tradition, women on the runways were an unexpected twist for audience members in Milan watching Dsquared’s and Dolce and Gabbana’s new lines. Gucci and Bottega Veneta missed out on Milan entirely as they plan to unveil lines for both men and women at the women’s shows in February.

Although this is not the first year for a show to feature both men’s and women’s wear (Prada and Gucci were two of the trendsetters here), the past few weeks mark a larger shift by a significant number of major labels, which could potentially change the way fashion does business.

Some labels hope to lessen the gap between designer and consumer with these “co-ed” shows. By reducing the number of runway shows, combining labels and incorporating a unisex mentality in the creative process, labels including Burberry and Vivienne Westwood are taking strides to meet the needs of a growing young consumer base. Gender norms are becoming less stringent in modern society, and gender fluidity is much more common in the next generation of style connoisseurs. On top of that, today’s youth are less patient and tech-dependent — they don’t want to wait any more than a day from the moment they lay eyes on their favorite designs to the second they can purchase those styles on the web.

By “youth” I’m referring to Millennials: the “fashionistas of the 21st century.” To meet the needs of restless consumers, some designers are beginning to favor a “see-now-buy-now” system by which show-goers can, essentially, shop the runway and then purchase their favorite pieces shortly after (in some cases directly after) the show. This model leaves the institution of fashion’s seasons in antiquity, and some labels call for a “season-less” system altogether. Combining men’s and women’s shows could just be a logical part of the package when it comes to simplicity and accessibility for the consumer.

Logic could also be a basic motive for the shift to a seasonless business model. Traditionally, fall clothes are previewed in September and October, and spring clothes in February and March. In other words, spring clothes are previewed in the winter but won’t come out until next spring. Kanye West tweeted his rationale for shortening the time between runway and release: “I just thought of the craziest idea of all … I'm going to sell winter coats in the winter!!!”

Kayla Beard is a senior studying journalism with a focus in web design at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you feel about the future of fashion? Let Kayla know by tweeting her @QKayK.