MAC Football: MAC teams winless in bowl season

Correction appended.

The Mid-American Conference sent five schools other than Ohio to bowl games this season. None of those teams returned with a bowl victory.

Many games were close, but not one team could pull through when it mattered the most.

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl — Appalachian State: 31 Toledo: 28

With his team down three, senior running back Kareem Hunt seemed to be willing Toledo to victory. When the Toledo drive reached the eight-yard line and stalled, however, Hunt wasn’t out on the field.

On fourth down, with two yards to get a first down, Toledo coach Jason Candle decided to take a delay of game penalty, and turn a 25-yard field goal into a 30-yard field goal.

Rocket kicker Jameson Vest lined up on the left hashmark, and sent the would-be game-tying field goal wide-right.

Appalachian State went on to run out the clock on the final drive of the game to win 31-28.

Candle said he took the penalty to give Vest a better angle for the kick, but it did not end in the favor of Toledo, as the kick appeared that it would have been good from 25 yards.

This marks the second consecutive season that Appalachian State has beat a MAC team in the Camellia Bowl — the Mountaineers beat Ohio last season.

Miami Beach Bowl — Tulsa: 55 Central Michigan: 10

In a game that was only close at the start, Tulsa beat Central Michigan 55-10.

Central Michigan did not have any answers for the Golden Hurricane offense, that produced a 3,000-yard quarterback, two 1,000-yard receivers and two 1,000-yard running backs this season.

Senior Chippewa quarterback Cooper Rush finished his college career without a bowl game victory or a MAC championship — but as a strong NFL prospect.

Popeyes Bahamas Bowl — Old Dominion: 24 Eastern Michigan: 20

It was a matchup of teams unfamiliar to bowl games. Eastern Michigan hadn't been to one since 1987, and Old Dominion had never reached a bowl.

In a back-and-forth game where the Eagles just fell short, quarterback Brogan Roback threw for 300 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. The interception, however, came at an inopportune time.

Eastern Michigan also showed resolve, scoring all 20 points in the second half, and almost completing a comeback.

St. Petersburg Bowl — Mississippi State: 17 Miami: 16

Miami looked very strong against Southeastern Conference opponent Mississippi State for most of the game.

The Redhawks led 9-0 at the half, and lined up to kick a winning field goal at the end of the game, but it was blocked.

Gus Ragland, a redshirt sophomore, continued to look like the quarterback of the future, throwing two touchdowns and an interception. The interception was his first of the season.

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic — Wisconsin: 24 Western Michigan: 16

Western Michigan played in the MAC’s biggest bowl game in years — a New Year’s Six game.

The Broncos held on in a close game against Big Ten runner up Wisconsin, despite looking very sloppy.

Wisconsin’s Troy Fumagalli was quarterback Bart Houston’s go-to in big situations, in which Fumagalli caught six passes for 83 yards and a touchdown. He also dropped another would-be touchdown pass.

Western Michigan’s quest for an undefeated season fell eight points short, but they still represented the MAC well in the conference's biggest game of the season. 

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu

A previous version of this story incorrectly omitted Ohio from the list of MAC bowl teams. The article has been updated with the most accurate information.