Provided via Wikimedia commons

List: Notable deaths in 2016

2016 saw the deaths of many significant people. Here are the most notable deaths from the past year, in the order in which they happened.

David Bowie: The musician and movie star died Jan. 10 after his long battle with cancer at the age of 69. He released his final album, Blackstar, just days before his death.

Via giphy.com

Alan Rickman: Known for his role in Die Hard and the Harry Potter series, Rickman died Jan. 14 from pancreatic cancer at age 69. Rickman will “always” be remembered for his acting capabilities.

Via giphy.com

Antonin Scalia: The Supreme Court Justice of 30 years died Feb. 13 at the age of 79. The former Justice’s seat played a role in the previous presidential election.

Harper Lee: The Pulitzer Prize-winning author died at the age of 89 on Feb. 19, less than a year after the release of Go Set A Watchman, the To Kill a Mockingbird sequel.

Nancy Reagan: Former First Lady Reagan died at the age of 94 on March 6. Like her husband, President Ronald Reagan, she had an acting career before entering the White House alongside her husband.

Merle Haggard: The singer and musician died Apr. 6, which was also his 79th birthday. He is known for his songs “Mamma Tried” and “Okie from Muskogee.”

Via giphy.com

Doris Robert: The comedienne and actress — known for her role on Everybody Loves Raymond — died from a stroke Apr. 17 at the age of 90.

Via giphy.com

Prince: The pop icon and musician died on Apr. 21 at the age of 57. The singer was known for his high falsetto in songs like “Little Red Corvette,” “Purple Rain,” “Kiss” and “When Doves Cry.”

Via giphy.com

Muhammad Ali: The boxer who “floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee” died June 3 at 73. He struggled with Parkinson’s disease for over 30 years.

Via giphy.com

Christina Grimmie: The singer, YouTube sensation and Voice competitor died tragically June 10 when a man shot her in a meet-and-greet line. She was 22 years old.

Anton Yelchin: The Star Trek actor died June 19 at at the age of 27 when his car rolled backwards, trapping him against his brick mailbox post. He played Chekov in the new films.

Pat Summitt: The Tennessee Girls Basketball coaching legend died June 28 from early-onset Alzheimer’s Disease at age 64. Summitt was the winningest coach in NCAA history, accumulating more than a thousand wins.

Elie Wiesel: Wiesel was the author of the book Night, which recounted his days in the concentration camps Auschwitz and Buchenwald. The Nobel Peace Prize recipient died July 2 at the age of 87.

Gene Wilder: Known for many of his roles in cinema — including Willy Wonka in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory — the actor died at 83 on Aug. 28 from complications with Alzheimer’s disease.

Via giphy.com

Arnold Palmer: The golf legend died from heart complications Sept. 25 at the age of 87.

Fidel Castro: The political leader of Cuba died Nov. 25 at the age of 90. He was a leader in the country from 1959 to 2008.

John Glenn: The Ohio native died Dec. 8 at the age of 95. Glenn was the first American to orbit the Earth and was a U.S. Senator.

Via giphy.com

Alan Thicke: The Growing Pains actor and father of singer Robin Thicke died at the age of 69 after suffering a heart attack while playing ice hockey with his son Carter on Dec. 13.

George Michael: The British singer and one half of the duo Wham! died Dec. 25 at the age of 53. Wham! is known for its songs “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go,” “Last Christmas” and “Careless Whisper.”

Carrie Fisher: The actress who brought Princess Leia to life died Dec. 27 at the age of 60 after a heart attack. Fisher was also an author and advocate for mental health issues.

Via giphy.com

Debbie Reynolds: One day after her daughter Carrie Fisher’s death, Reynolds died Dec. 28 at the age of 84 from a stroke. The actress was known for her roles in Singin’ in the Rain and Disney Channel’s Halloweentown series.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu