Ohio senior Matt Rudin attempts to keep the puck away from Jamestown's Cole McKechney during a game against the Jamestown Jimmies at Bird Arena on October 22, 2016.

Hockey: Ohio fights for a sweep against Delaware in first series of the year

For the first time in 2017, the Bobcats took the Bird Arena ice. This time, it was for a weekend series with Delaware.

Friday night, as one might expect was a sloppy, rusty performance that resulted in only one goal being scored by either side. The Bobcats escaped with a 1-0 victory. Saturday night looked like it would play out much the same, but Ohio broke the game open with a five-goal second period. Ohio went on to win 10-1.

“”I think (Friday night), we were just rusty,” coach Sean Hogan said.

Third Line’s a Charm

After a lackluster performance Friday night, the Bobcats’ scoring ability was on full display Saturday, and the third line was no exception.

Forward Tyler Harkins had his first career hat trick and an assist. Gianni Evangelisti had four assists to push his assist total to 18 on the season. His 28 points continues to lead the team. Mike Palasics had five points in total, with two goals and three assists.

Any line that can produce 13 points between three members has to mesh well, and the unit has done just that.

“We have really good chemistry,” said Harkins. “Hanging out after practice and then working out together. You kinda become brothers and you get a really strong bond.”

That specific line has been scoring at a high rate all season and will be crucial to the Bobcats moving forward.

Physical Play

Heading into the Delaware matchups, Hogan knew it would be very physical due to the size of the Blue Hens’ players.

However, he still might not have expected what transpired.

Ohio was called for nine penalties Friday night, including a first-period spearing penalty by senior forward Joey Breslin, which resulted in a 10-minute game misconduct call. Breslin was not permitted to re-enter the game. Delaware also had a player get a 10-minute misconduct.

Much of the same occurred Saturday. The Bobcats were called for 14 penalties, but only conceded one goal on the penalty kill. They also found success on the offensive end of the penalty kill, when Jacob Houston scored a shorthanded goal.

@spencerholbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu