Ohio's Joe Breslin tries to get the puck past Kent State during their game on Sept. 30, 2016. Ohio won 4-0. (EMILY MATTHEWS | PHOTO EDITOR)

Hockey: It's the first weekend back from break, and the team still has some injuries

As the season progresses for the Bobcats, and the weekend series continue to physically impact them, they will inevitably get injured. Post reporters Jordan Horrobin and Spencer Holbrook will write a weekly blog — if injuries allow — documenting Ohio’s bumps and bruises.

In the first weekend series, coming off a month-long break for the holidays, No. 3 Ohio (17-4-1) is expected to come back well-rested and healthy. However, team illnesses and injuries in practice have made for a lengthy injury report.

A weekend series with No. 16 Delaware is on tap for the Bobcats, one that coach Sean Hogan calls “a big series” for his team. Last weekend’s series against Lindenwood was canceled due to a carbon monoxide leak in Lindenwood’s arena that hospitalized some women’s hockey players.

Forwards

Drew Crandall (back) is currently wearing a red, no-contact jersey this week in practice. He is very doubtful to play this weekend.

Patrick Hannan (flu) still had symptoms as of Tuesday. His status for this weekend is uncertain.

Brock Rumbaugh (back) has not practiced since Monday and will be out this weekend.

Defensemen

Mike LaFrenier (ankle) will not play this weekend after re-aggravating his injury in practice Monday.

Goalies

Ryan Heltion (flu) hasn’t practiced. Hogan said Heltion’s status for the weekend series is doubtful.

Jimmy Thomas sustained a rib injury in practice Monday. He dressed for some of practice Tuesday, but his status is uncertain.

Aaron Alkema is the only healthy goalie practicing.

@spencerholbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu