Ohio hosted Duquesne and Xavier in a duel meet on Saturday, January 21 at the Ohio University Aquatic Center. The Bobcats beat Duquesne 177-78 and Xavier 160-97.

Swim and Dive: Ohio drops only one event in its two weekend wins over Duquesne and Xavier

Ohio dominated for the second straight meet, losing only one event on its way to wins over Duquesne, 160-97, and Xavier, 177-78, on Saturday at home.

Laura Dawson stepped up to win the 100-yard backstroke for her first time this year, along with her time being 0.02 seconds off her season best. Dawson swept the backstroke events by winning the 200-yard for the third time this year.

Corrin Van Lanen continued winning the short distance freestyle events with first-place finishes in both the 50- and 100-yard freestyles. This was her sixth win of the season in the 50 and her fifth in the 100.

Emily Zimcosky was the third swimmer to win two events at the meet with her third win of the year in the 200-yard freestyle. Her second first-place finish was in the 500-yard for the second time this season. Zimcosky has stepped up in the past two meets for Ohio with two wins in each of the meets.

The sweep of the freestyle events was rounded out by Ana Henderson winning the 1000-yard for the second time this year. Mackenzie Carruthers finished in second-place with a personal best by six seconds.

Claire Mikesell had a standout meet for the Bobcats and won the 100-yard breaststroke for the first time this season. Mikesell added a fourth-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle and was part of both relay teams that won.

"We had a number of personal lifetime bests today which is a little bit but unique at this part of the season ... the girls do look a little bit more crisp," head coach Rachel Komisarz-Baugh said after the meet.

Personal bests are more common when there is more rest in between event like the Louisville Invitational, where the Bobcats had over 20 personal bests. At this point, Ohio is still training hard so times are expected to be a little bit slower. 

Annie Gosselin had a solid meet with two top-three performances including a first-place finish in the 200-yard butterfly for the third time this year. Gosselin added a third-place finish and top performance for Ohio in the 400-yard individual medley, the only event Ohio did not win.

Three top-two performances for Mackenzie Hornstra was strong again, as she won the 200-yard breaststroke for the second time of the year. Carrie Dukes rounded out the individual wins with her first win of the season in the 100-yard butterfly and a third-place finish in the 200-yard butterfly.

Ohio won both the 400-yard freestyle relay and the 400-yard medley relay with Mikesell and Van Lanen being part of both.

Duquesne and Xavier do not have any divers so Ohio dove an exhibition and did not count towards the point totals. The divers traveled to the dive-only Buffalo Invite on Jan. 13-15.

Ohio returns to action Jan. 28 with the final home meet of the season and final dual-meet against Toledo at 2 p.m.

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu