Students wait for a turn to look through a telescope at a star-gazing party in the State Street Cemetary on Friday, September 23, 2016. (EMMA HOWELLS | PHOTO EDITOR)

Weekender Briefs: Music, films and card games all options for the weekend

As usual, the weekend promises a wide selection of bands set to visit Athens. Friday will feature Columbus-based indie folk duo Caamp performing at The Union Bar & Grill, located at 18 W. Union St. Gaptooth Grin, an Americana band from Athens, is scheduled to open for Caamp. Saturday features two of Athens’ favorite rock bands, Wolfmen and Slackluster. Slackluster is known for its blend of garage rock and psychedelia, while the more-traditional rockers, Wolfmen, released their In a Quiet Place EP in July.

A few blocks north of The Union, two bluegrass bands, Fox N Hounds and The Wayfarers, will perform Friday night at Casa Nueva, located at 6 W. State St. Saturday, three more bands will play Casa Nueva. The Kay Carter Band will perform in the evening as the free early show, while the late show will feature the talents of The Mighty High & Dry and Serpent Mound.

Donkey Coffee & Espresso, 17 ½ W. Washington St., will feature a more quiet show Saturday, as Megan Wren and Seth Canan will both play their acoustic styles of music. In a similar vein, Athens Uncorked, 14 Station St., will be hosting another of its Acoustic Jazz Nights, which will feature the acoustic stylings of guitarist John Horne. Athens Uncorked’s Facebook page describes Horne as “the perfect fit for our chilled-out wine bar atmosphere.”

Local music company Aquabear Legion will host an All-Ohio Vinyl Party at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road. The party will promote the upcoming release of Aquabear Legion Volume 6. The double-sided album is a compilation of over 20 Ohio bands. Local DJs, DJ Barticus, DJ Manfish, The 29th Street Flash and Uncle Peacock will all spin some records.

In Nelsonville, the “new Queen of Bluegrass” Rhonda Vincent is set to perform at Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square. Vincent has won over 40 awards in her career, including a record seven consecutive Female Vocalist of the Year awards from the International Bluegrass Music Association. Vincent is known for her practice of wearing designer gowns and high heels on stage in lieu of more traditional concert wear.

Athens-based Magic: The Gathering fans will be holding an Aether Revolt pre-release tournament at The Wizard’s Guild, 19 W. Washington St. The tournament of the popular trading card game is in celebration of this weekend’s prerelease of Aether Revolt, which is a new set of Magic: The Gathering cards.

Fans of film will have two special options this weekend. The first is a Saturday evening showing of Life In A Day: Western States 100, a sports film about the struggles and achievements of four runners participating in a 100-mile run. Devon Yanko, one of the athletes featured in film, will be at the showing at the Ohio Valley Running Company, 20 Station St. Also, the Athena Grand, 1008 E. State St., will be showing the classic musical-comedy Singin’ in the Rain. The showing coincides with both the film’s 65th anniversary and the recent passing of actress Debbie Reynolds, who portrays Kathy in the movie.

Finally, on Friday night, the Athens Astronomical Society will host Star Party 8, a night of stargazing. Attendees are encouraged to “BYOT” (bring your own telescope), and the event’s Facebook page reminds stargazers, “No drugs, no drinkin'. It ain't that kinda party.”

If You go 

Friday

WHAT: Athens Voices 2017

WHEN: 5 p.m.

WHERE: The Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Lane

ADMISSION: Free

42 artists are displaying their work.

WHAT: Star Party 8, hosted by the Athens Astronomical Society

WHEN: 6 p.m.

WHERE: State Street Cemetery

ADMISSION: Free

WHAT: Cookie Palooza

WHEN: 6:30 p.m.

WHERE: The Market on State, 1002 E. State St.

ADMISSION: Free, cookies for sale

WHAT: Caamp with Gaptooth Grin

WHEN: 9 p.m.

WHERE: The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St

ADMISSION: $5

Saturday

WHAT: Aether Revolt pre-release tournament

WHEN: 6 p.m.

WHERE: The Wizard’s Guild, 19 W. Washington St.

ADMISSION: $28, $25 if also a participant in 12 p.m. tournament

WHAT: The Kay Carter Band

WHEN: 6 p.m.

WHERE: Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St.

ADMISSION: Free

WHAT: Life In A Day: Western States 100 Showing

WHEN: Doors at 6, film at 7

WHERE: Ohio Valley Running Company, 20 Station St.

ADMISSION: Free

WHAT: All-Ohio Vinyl Party, hosted by Aquabear Legion

WHEN: 7 p.m.

WHERE: Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Road

ADMISSION: Free, drinks and music for sale

WHAT: Megan Wren and Seth Canan

WHEN: 8 p.m.

WHERE: Donkey Coffee & Espresso, 17 ½ W. Washington St.

ADMISSION: $3

WHAT: January Contra Dance

WHEN: 7:30 p.m.

WHERE: ARTS/West, 132 W. State St.

ADMISSION: $3 for students, $7 for adults, $15 for a family, kids 10 and under free

WHAT: Acoustic Jazz Night with John Horne

WHEN: 8 p.m.

WHERE: Athens Uncorked, 14 Station St.

ADMISSION: Free, drinks for sale

WHAT: Wolfmen and Slackluster

WHEN: 9 p.m.

WHERE: The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St.

ADMISSION: Free

Sunday

WHAT: January Family Dance

WHEN: 3 p.m.

WHERE: ARTS/West, 132 W. State St.

ADMISSION: $3 donation suggested

WHAT: Rhonda Vincent & The Rage

WHEN: 3 p.m.

WHERE: Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square, Nelsonville

ADMISSION: Reserved Seats: $25 in advance, $30 at door; Box Seats: $30 in advance, $35 at door

WHAT: Singin’ in the Rain Showing

WHEN: 7 p.m.

WHERE: Athena Grand, 1008 E. State St.

ADMISSION: $12.50