An Affair to Remember will screen at the Athena Grand on Wednesday. (Via Flicker Creative Commons User Insomnia Cured Here)  

Athena Grand to screen ‘An Affair to Remember’

Couples can get cozy at the Athena Grand for a belated Valentine’s Day.

The Athena Grand will screen An Affair to Remember on Wednesday at 7 p.m. to celebrate the film’s 60th anniversary. Tickets are $12.50.

An Affair to Remember was made in 1957 and was nominated for four Academy Awards, including Best Cinematography. The film follows two people who fall in love and agree to meet at the top of the Empire State Building.

The movie has served as inspiration for many contemporary love stories. The 1993 movie Sleepless in Seattle starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan referenced An Affair to Remember throughout its duration, and the main characters also united on the New York City landmark.

Those who enjoy watching Sleepless in Seattle will like An Affair to Remember, Rick Frame, the owner of the Athena Grand, said. Most people have probably seen the older films on the small screen, but Frame said those movies are meant to be seen on a big screen, he added.

“There is always that unique feeling when you go to a movie theater with other people that certainly adds to the experience of watching a movie,” Frame said.

An Affair to Remember's storyline is a love story, which is “good timing” for Valentine’s Day, he said. When the Athena Grand shows older films, Frame said 40 to 60 people will come to the screening.

“A lot of (the audience members) are older people that remember the movie when it first came out,” Frame said. “Then there is kind of the younger side that just wants to see (the older films) because they’ve heard people talk about them.”

Tina Caporaso, a senior studying communication and public and community health, said she enjoys watching some old movies. Watching an old film in theaters can bring back nostalgic memories because it reminds her of going to the theater as a kid, she said.

Caporaso would go see an old film for Valentine’s Day if there was nothing else to do, she said, especially because of the love story plotline.

“You can compare love now to how it was seventy years ago because the emotion love brings out in people is timeless,” she said.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu