FACES annual Sibs Weekend Fashion Show in Baker Theatre on February 4, 2017. (LAILA RIAZ | FOR THE POST).

Fashion show encourages people to to be confident in their own bodies

Everyone and their siblings were offering moral support for every model they knew — and even ones they did not — at the F.A.C.E.S. Modeling Sibs Weekend Fashion Show.

“Class is in session. Take notes.” was blared over the speakers as small groups of F.A.C.E.S. modeling members took to the runway to show off their clothes.

F.A.C.E.S. stands for Fascinating Alluring Chic Exciting Sensing. The group wants all members to have “positive self-esteem” and “a healthy body image,” which is implemented through teaching simple modeling techniques.

Their fashion show was inspired by “A Different World,” a late-80s and early-90s television show that detailed the fictional lives of students at a “historically black university.”

Each scene of the show emphasized a particular clothing style that particular bit of fashion: chokers, denim and dark couture.

F.A.C.E.S. models show off their own clothes, Kaelyn Brown, a junior studying psychology and president of F.A.C.E.S. Modeling, said this allows members show off their “personal style,” and there is no stigma with clothing size.

Most of the scenes centered on the female models, however, one scene let men steal the spotlight.

Joseph Boamah, a junior studying communication, said his favorite scene to participate in was the round-up of men's fashion. This fashion show was his first event with the group, but he has wanted to be a model since he was a kid.

“They teach you how to present yourself in front of an audience,” Boamah said, adding that F.A.C.E.S. modeling “emphasizes diversity.”

"I like that F.A.C.E.S. uses people of all body types and gender preferences,” Jasmyn Pearl, a sophomore studying journalism said.

The Sibs Weekend event is one of the group’s biggest of the year, Brown said. The group makes use of the strong crowd numbers by donating some of their proceeds and providing relevant information on a highlighted topic, she said.

F.A.C.E.S. Modeling aims to bring more attention to homelessness and to be a potential resource for people who find themselves in that situation. They are donating to The Good Works Timothy House, which is the one shelter in eight southeast Ohio counties.

There was hardly a dull moment during the fashion show. Time between scenes was filled with interactive activities, such as the presenters asking the audience questions and volunteers from the audience getting onstage to parade their confidence.

@marvelllousmeg

mm512815@ohio.edu