Kayla Beard is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University.

What Would You Wear: Fashionable fur life

Fur has been a symbol of luxe and status, as well as a major fashion statement, for decades. From P. Diddy and Coco Chanel to Macklemore and Rihanna, celebrities and icons have scarcely ever been afraid to drape themselves in a little animal hair. In 2017, environmental concerns and activism are more prevalent than ever. But the pelt trend has had a rocky moral history and its origins trace back further than most. It may not only be difficult for fashion to let go of fur; I’d argue it would be out of character.

The fashion industry has long had an affinity for animal furs and skins, even before fashion was an industry. Some of the earliest hunters and gatherers wore animal furs and skins for a handful of valid reasons: warmth, protection, durability and limited alternatives. But even in those early communities, there were cultural reasons. Some believed by wearing the skin of, say, a bear, they could absorb the strength and courage of the animal. Warriors, religious leaders and, eventually, royalty were all participants in the growing fur trend over the centuries.

Fur has remained primarily as a status symbol in recent history. High-end designers defy the pressure from animal advocates and continue to incorporate animal skins and furs in their designs. Although there have been multiple brands to vow a future free of fur and of animal cruelty — brands including Stella McCartney and, more recently, Hugo Boss — the fur industry has hardly been impacted and the trend is hotter than ever this year.

While fashion’s ancient roots in the fur business may make its addiction to animal skins a hard one to beat, there is still a massive pushback from activists in every industry. In 2014, Born Free USA launched a donation drive which collected over 100 fur items, repurposed them and donated them to animal rehabilitation centers across the country. Last year, the program received more than 800 donations and partnered with 18 different wildlife centers to provide comfort to animals in need. On the other end of the spectrum, brands continue to take their own steps to get out of the fur business. Australian fashion label Ellery has pledged to go fur-free by the middle of this year.

Society’s fur obsession may have made sense centuries ago when thick animal fur was the best bet for staying warm in the winter. Though, in today’s times, as increasing numbers of animal species march their way towards extinction, it seems archaic to speed the proceed and wipe out a population of creatures because you thought they looked pretty. Still, is the practice any more archaic than needlessly slaughtering animals for meat when our bodies can survive without it? Or is it any worse than using animals as test subjects or performers in a traveling show? The barriers of what is right and wrong can be a little fuzzy with this one, but unfortunately for the fur industry, the idea of sustainability places the fur trade and the extinction crisis together in an all new perspective.

Kayla Beard is a senior studying journalism with a focus in web design at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Would you ever wear a real fur, or do you stick to the faux stuff? Let Kayla know by tweeting her @QKayK.