Ted Harris, clarinetist for local band Word of Mouth, performing Jazz at Tony's Tavern (BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST)

Nelsonville restaurant to host two-day Mardi Gras celebration

New Orleans is known for its historic French Quarter neighborhood, its iconic Bourbon Street and its extravagant partying with Mardi Gras being one of its most recognized celebrations.

Mardi Gras is the old Catholic custom of living it up before Lent on “Fat Tuesday,” before a fasting period that honors Jesus Christ.

Rhapsody Music and Dining restaurant, located in Nelsonville's Public Square, is run by the Hospitality and Culinary Professionals of Tomorrow at Hocking College. Rhapsody will host a two-day event, Bourbon Street Bash, in commemoration of Mardi Gras.

The businesses along Bourbon Street that lie in the heart of the New Orleans' French Quarter lend a setting that exemplifies the old-world traditions displayed in its unique culture.

Many people, for many reasons, include a trip to Bourbon Street’s Mardi Gras celebration on their bucket list. For some people, it’s the food, for some it’s the booze, for some it’s the music, for others it’s the fun atmosphere that makes Mardi Gras appealing.

Bourbon Street Bash will feature a distinctive New Orleans cuisine with traditional jazz music to bring the Mardi Gras culture to southeast Ohio.

Rhapsody’s executive chef Anthony Adami said Hocking College culinary staffers introduced the Mardi Gras theme years ago, and it remains a popular event today.

“(Bourbon Street Bash) is a very unique experience for people who can’t travel (to New Orleans) and for the students as well, who get to prepare the different foods,” Adami said. “(Customers) will appreciate the fine dining experience and the students’ contribution to it.”

A Mardi Gras celebration wouldn’t be complete without the distinctive flavor of French Quarter music. And the Word of Mouth Jazz Band has that covered.

Band vocalist and trumpet player Kay Carter performs at Rhapsody frequently and said Bourbon Street Bash will offer Cajun food in a lovely atmosphere.

“And our band will lend to that,” Carter said. “We’ll do a lot of Dixieland, Cajun tunes and a lot of jazz.”

Those who wish to discover the Mardi Gras experience can sample its diverse flavors this Friday and Saturday night in Nelsonville.

@1mmorris

mm149411@ohio.edu