OU testing two-ply toilet paper; Kasich appoints new trustee

Ohio University students may see new toilet paper in buildings across campus, and a new trustee has been appointed to fill the open position left by former Trustee Kevin Lake.

University testing different toilet paper

Two-ply toilet paper may soon replace one-ply toilet paper in buildings throughout OU’s campus.

Steve Mack, director of Facilities Management, said the university is exploring options to see if implementing two-ply toilet paper is feasible and cost-effective.

“We are monitoring usage for a set period of time with our standard one-ply product,” Mack said in an email. “We then switch everything over to two-ply and monitor usage for the same period of time.”

Facilities Management has been testing different toilet papers in Alden Library and Copeland Hall because “high traffic areas provide us with quick data inputs and usage patterns,” Mack said in an email.

Student Senate Vice President Courteney Muhl said senate asked the university about using two-ply toilet paper a few years ago, and they were told OU’s piping system and infrastructure would not be able to support it.

Dell Robinson picked as new trustee

Ohio Gov. John Kasich appointed Dell Robinson to the OU Board of Trustees.

Robinson is a search associate for athletics at Spelman and Johnson, a leadership search firm based in Massachusetts that serves higher education institutions.

He is a 1988 graduate of OU with a bachelor’s degree in physical education. Robinson received a master’s degree in sport administration from Iowa State University in 1992.

Robinson’s term began March 24 and will end May 13, 2019, according to a news release.

Robinson will fill the unexpired term of former Trustee Kevin Lake, who pleaded guilty to drug, tax and fraud charges and to running a “pill mill.” Lake stepped down from the board Jan. 21.

City council agrees to specialized police training, parking kiosks

During Monday night’s Athens City Council meeting, Athens Sheriff Rodney Smith and Athens Police Department Chief Tom Pyle urged council members to support training to allow more APD officers to join the Athens County Sheriff’s Office Special Response and Tactics Unit.

Smith and Pyle said the unit will be used to respond to highly volatile situations, such as a hostage situation, a report of gunshots or the issuance of a warrant in a dangerous location.

“We hope to never have to use such a team, but heaven forbid something happens, we need to have some kind of contingency plan,” Smith said.

Several council members, including Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, supported the proposal.

“We really appreciate having a highly trained law enforcement,” Papai said. “We also have mental health training for our law enforcement, and I think this is another step in making us a more informed.”

Later in the meeting, council members announced the removal of parking meters along the renovated portion of West Union Street. The parking meters will be replaced by two kiosks that will be placed on both sides of the block.

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson said the combined cost of the kiosks will be $25,000, and they are expected to generate $33,000 in annual income for the city. The kiosks will accept coins and credit cards, or residents can make mobile payments through the city's ParkMobile app.

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu