Ohio lost to Ohio State 6 to 3 during its game on March 29.

Baseball: Ohio hopes to pick up offense against Western Kentucky

Ohio will play a three-game series against Western Kentucky this weekend, playing a game a day from Friday through Sunday in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

The Bobcats are coming in with a 2-3 record in their last series of games, where they went 2-2 against Southern Illinois and dropped their single game against Alabama State on Tuesday.

The Hilltoppers (3-6) have entered into a bit of a cold spell, as they are currently on a three-game losing streak and have dropped five of their last six. Their most recent loss was a 17-2 thumping from Kentucky.

Through the first nine games of the season, the Bobcats have struggled to drive in runs, but getting players on base hasn't been the issue for the Bobcats.

Of the eight players who have had 18 at-bats or more, six currently own batting averages of .270 or higher, and five have a current on-base percentage of .350 or higher. As a team, the Bobcats possess a .262 batting average and a .343 OBP.

Despite the solid numbers, Ohio (5-4) has been inconsistent at times, averaging just under six runs per game this season, and has failed to crack five runs on the scoreboard five times so far.

The batting inconsistencies have applied additional pressure on the pitching staff, as the Bobcats' reliable starting staff and bullpen have been forced into tight situations late in games due to the lack of offense.

The issue was most apparent in the Bobcats' 13-inning game last Sunday. Ohio won 2-1, but failed to score in 12-straight innings, forcing redshirt junior Jake Roehn, the team's usual closer, to throw three innings as the game progressed into extras.

The Bobcats' offense will hope to find a groove as their 17-game road trip to start the season winds down and Mid-American Conference play heats up.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu