Alex Day dashes to first after a pop-up ball during Ohio's game against Rutgers on Friday (BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST)

Softball: Ohio goes undefeated in the Palmetto State

Ohio ran its record to 19-6 after defeating South Carolina Upstate, Lafayette, Western Carolina and College of Charleston in the final non-conference weekend tournament of season.  

Ohio beat USC Upstate 3-2 on Friday to start the weekend. The victory over the Spartans makes the Bobcats 3-3 in games against a team that made the NCAA tournament last season. Ohio’s other two wins came against Longwood earlier this season.

After the game in Spartanburg, South Carolina, the Bobcats traveled to College of Charleston Tournament. Ohio went 4-0 in the tournament, picking up an 8-0 win over Lafayette, a 10-0 and 2-0 wins over Western Carolina and a 2-1 win over College of Charleston.

Weekend standouts

Danielle Stiene had a big weekend in the circle for Ohio, as the junior threw a five-inning perfect game in the win over Lafayette on Saturday and struck out eight of the 15 batters faced. Stiene came back Sunday morning and picked up the win over Western Carolina after throwing seven scoreless innings with 12 strikeouts.

Savannah Jo Dorsey also had a big weekend in the circle, as the senior picked up three wins. Dorsey totaled 19 innings pitched and struck out 25 batters and only gave up three runs. She also allowed only 10 base-runners.

Ohio’s offense continued its hot start to the season this weekend ending two of the five games by mercy rule in the fifth inning. Ohio has now won five shortened games because of the mercy rule. The Bobcats scored 25 runs over the weekend.

Alex Day led the offense going 9-for-15 scoring four runs with five RBIs. Day started off the season hitting second in the lineup and eventually slide up to the leadoff spot for coach Jodi Hermanek, but in the final four games of the weekend, Day was hitting in the three hole.

Taylor Saxton moved into the leadoff spot this weekend and she delivered, as she went 5-for-16 with three runs and two RBIs.

Alexa Holland has seen her playing time increase recently. The freshman started every game this weekend in Ohio’s crowded outfield. Holland went 5-for-15 at the plate with four runs and four RBIs.

Ohio has finished the bulk of non-conference play and only has two games with Marshall left on the schedule. That means the Bobcats will now turn their attention to Mid-American Conference play, that starts at the Ohio Softball Field on Friday against Toledo.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu