Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Water bottle incident leaves man 'in fear for his life'

A local man was left “in fear for his life” after a water bottle was thrown at him near a Chauncey library, according to recent reports from the Athens County Sheriff's Office.

On Sunday, deputies responded to the location after receiving a call from a man who had driven to the local library with his wife to use the building’s Wi-Fi. The man reported that about “eight to ten adult men” arrived at the library and threw an empty water bottle at his car.

Deputies reported that the man fled the scene, leaving behind his wife and waiting to pick her up until the area was cleared by deputies. When it was determined that the suspects were no longer present, the case was closed, according to the police report.

Bicycle Bandit

On Thursday, nearly a week after Mill Fest, deputies were called to a different Mill Street in Chauncey after receiving a report of a man “yelling and pounding on his walls.” When deputies made contact with the man, he said he had called five times and told that people were “coming with guns to steal his bikes.”

Once the deputies were able to calm the man down, he returned to his residence to finish his dinner, according to the police report.

Boyfriend Brawl

Last Tuesday, deputies with the Athens County Sheriff’s Office were called to a household in Trimble, where it was reported that two females were fighting over a “mutual boyfriend,” when the altercation “turned sour,” and resulted in threats of physical violence against the other woman involved. 

When the homeowner said one of the women would have to leave if she was going to “continue to antagonize” the situation, she punched out a window at the residence. Deputies later collected a written statement from the homeowner and photographed the damage. The case remains active, according to the police report.

Family Feud

On the same day, a woman called the Sheriff’s Office to report that her mother and aunt, both of whom lived with her, were being “bothersome and agitating,” and requested that deputies remove them from the residence so they would no longer bother her and her child. Deputies informed the woman, however, that without bringing criminal charges against the mother and aunt, there was no way to forcibly remove them from the home.

Without a criminal complaint to further pursue the issue, deputies encouraged the woman to leave the home if she felt the situation may escalate in the future. The case has since been closed, according to the police report.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu