Ufuk Sarikaya, Murat Sari and Sirac Gelpis (from left to right) of the Columbus band Musiki perform during Turkish Night. (FILE)

Turkish Night to offer glimpse at life and culture in Turkey

Ohio University students can experience the food, dance and culture of Turkey at Turkish Night, presented by the Turkish American Student Association on Sunday from 5 to 7 p.m. in Walter Hall.

Tickets can be purchased Friday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the first floor of Baker.

Along with the food and dancing, the night will consist of videos and speakers. A speaker, who was a tourist in Turkey, will share his experience and what he got out of the trip. The night is about introducing the Turkish culture to new people.

“I have been waiting for this night for two years,” Nur Dedeoğlu, the president of TASA, said. “Last year we didn’t do anything.”

Alexis McCurdy, a freshman studying journalism, said she loves experiencing new cultures. She saw people selling tickets in Baker Center during the week and decided to take a look because she doesn’t know much about Turkey.

“I think when you’re in such a secluded town as Athens, it’s good to branch out and learn something new,” McCurdy said. “Let me find out and get some good food in the process.”

McCurdy, Dedeoğlu and Joseph Hennessy, a freshman studying journalism, are all most excited for the dancing portion of the night.

“It’ll be fun to learn new dances and show them off to my family,” Hennessy said. “Different cultures and different points of view are always good for anyone.”

Dedeoğlu is looking forward to the dance portion because she will be one of the dancers herself. All the pieces are important to her and the association, and she is excited for the audience to see her culture. She wants people to walk away from the event with more information about Turkey.

“I hope to get a better understanding of the country as a whole,” McCurdy said. “I want to break some of the stereotypes I might have that I don’t even recognize.”

@becca_woj

rw243615@ohio.edu