Ian Armstrong, Gradutate Student Senate President, addresses the body at their first meeting on September 6, 2016. (LAILA RIAZ | FOR THE POST)

Graduate Student Senate: Members approve spending money on branding

Graduate Student Senate voted on amending the Rules and Procedures document and using GSS funds to improve branding and help fund events at its meeting Tuesday evening.

The general body voted to make the GSS president in charge of the attendance and oversight of the vice president of legislative affairs. Alex Burke, vice president for finance, said that resolution would affect only the president and the vice president for legislative affairs, not the general body.

Later in the meeting, Christopher Glick, the political science department representative, withdrew a resolution that would have changed the attendance policy for GSS members. The resolution proposed would have decreased the number of unexcused absences a member could have from four to two.

Fatma Jabbari, international graduate student affairs commissioner, said the resolution could change people's minds about joining GSS. “It would be one of the major causes that people would refrain from joining GSS because it could be seen as a burden," she said.

The resolution was later withdrawn because there was confusion over some of the language in the resolution.

GSS also voted on several budget resolutions. The general body hopes to make itself more competitive and professional by buying two fitted tablecloths and a table runner to use at events.

The body approved spending $103 on the items, but some members asked if the body had any follow-up on how successful the branding is. Some GSS members said it makes sense that they would use some of the money they have left on branding items.

“We have a lot of events where we’re trying to market and brand ourselves, and we have to use things like stapling things together and taping things together,” Maria Modayil, Graduate College senator and next year’s GSS president, said. “This is something that would be professional looking.”

Additionally, GSS voted to use funds for graduation honor cords and a screening of the film Salam Neighbor. The screening will be held during International Week hosted by the International Student Union, a partner with GSS for the Earth Day Every Day initiative.

GSS voted to give $144 for the screening and $61.50 for the honor cords.

Mitchell Smith, GSS chief of staff, said the GSS members should congratulate themselves about their work this year.

“I think this is the most engaged I’ve seen GSS in the five years I’ve been here,” Smith said. “I think it’s done a lot to revamp GSS’ image just in this year alone …This is probably the most excited I’ve seen people about GSS in a long time.

After the meeting, the 2017-18 GSS executive council and college senators were announced, and the GLocals ticket won every race.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu