Ohio University's Alexa Holland misses the ball during Ohio University's game against Toledo on March 25, 2017 at the Ohio Softball field. (HANNAH RUHOFF | FOR THE POST)

Softball: Ohio's offense looks to get back on track

Although Ohio scored seven runs in the second game of the doubleheader Friday, it scored only one run in the first game and were shut out Saturday during their weekend series with Akron.

Now losers of seven of their last ten games, the Bobcats will look rebound from poor offensive play when they travel to Huntington, West Virginia on Tuesday and play Marshall.

Coach Jodi Hermanek said that her offense hasn’t made the necessary adjustments in conference play to score runs and compete.

Marshall is not a conference opponent, but a win on the road — Marshall is undefeated at home — could be what the Bobcats need to get back to seeing production offensively.

Seeing offensive production won’t be easy when the Bobcats (27-13) take on the Thundering Herd (33-7). Marshall has a quality pitching staff waiting for the Bobcats.

The Thundering Herd boast a 2.32 ERA as a staff, good enough for No. 42 in the country.

If the Bobcats are going to win in Huntington, aiming to score three runs would be a good start. They’re 24-0 this season when scoring three or more runs.

When they score fewer than three, the Bobcats are just 3-13, so scoring three or more runs is almost imperative.

Marshall is only being outscored in one inning this season – the fifth. Ohio may find success against the Thundering Herd if it can keep the game close going into that inning.

So on Tuesday, if the Bobcats score three or more runs, whenever those runs may come, they will have a good indication of what the result will be.

@spencerholbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu