Abby Miller about to cross the finish line during the womens 5,000M during Ohio's Cherry Blossom invitational on Saturday (BLAKE NISSEN | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Track and Field: Ohio continues momentum in Kentucky at Hilltopper Relays

Ohio’s consistency is slowly becoming its best quality.

With a solid showing last weekend at home and another solid one this weekend in Bowling Green, Kentucky, the Bobcats are maintaining their momentum.

Ohio competed in the Hilltopper Relays at Western Kentucky this weekend, facing Western Kentucky, Northern Kentucky and Indiana Tech.  

As usual, the Bobcats dominated in the field events. Junior thrower Jordan Porter won the shot put with a throw of 14.82 meters. Porter won the same event last weekend during Ohio’s home meet, the Cherry Blossom Invitational. She threw for 15.90 meters during that meet.

Along with Porter’s success, the Bobcats had two throwers place in the top two of the javelin. Emma Ryan placed No. 1 with a throw of 43.43 meters, and Tajah Haley placed No. 2 with a throw of 39.24 meters.

Aside from the team’s success in the field events, the track events had a solid meet as well. In perhaps the Bobcats’ best track event, the 1500-meter, Alyssa Atkinson and Madison Sury both placed well for the team.

Atkinson, a sophomore, placed No. 8 in her heat, recording a lifetime personal record of 4:42.98. Sury placed No. 2 in her heat and No. 10 overall, picking up a lifetime personal record of 4:43.37.

Though the distance runners had their typical success, the sprinters have recently begun to emerge. Mya Hodge and Kristin Winkel, both are hurdlers, have been some of the most consistent sprinters.

Hodge and Winkel continued their momentum, too.

Hodge, who earned a lifetime personal record last weekend in the 100-meter hurdles, earned another record at Western Kentucky. In the 100-meter, she ran for a time of 12.72 seconds, which placed her No. 27 overall.

Winkel had a similar outing, earning a lifetime personal record in the same event. She placed No. 23 overall with a time of 12.56 seconds. Winkel also recorded a season personal record in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.26 seconds.

The Bobcats can’t complain with the kind of consistency they have strung together. With Ohio splitting up next weekend, it will need to have continuity.

As Ohio looks to continue its momentum, some of the team will travel to Cincinnati to compete in the All-Ohio Championship, while the rest of the team will travel to Charlotte, North Carolina, to compete in the Charlotte Invitational.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu