From The Editor’s Desk: Reader feedback helps ‘Post’ prepare for upcoming academic year

Several people have made the comment in the past few weeks that I’m now the lame duck of The Post, which is not totally wrong. I have a few short weeks until I graduate, though I’d like to think (and maybe this is the “lame” part) that I’m spending my precious time still devoted to Baker 325.

But those in our executive office are changing, and for the first time in a long time (and honestly, I can’t tell our readers how long), that executive office is entirely female. The Post’s next head editor will be Liz Backo, the managing editor will be Kaitlin Coward, the digital managing editor will be Hayley Harding and the projects editor will be Marisa Fernandez.

I do not know a group of women more talented, or more capable. I’m immensely proud to be leaving The Post in caring hands, especially after the hurdles we’ve encountered with our transition to a print-weekly model with an entirely redesigned website. I’m grateful for the past two years as editor, but I think The Post will be an ultimately better product with these women at the helm.

Some of their plans so far relate to better communication with student groups and faculty members, increased emphasis on “beat” coverage (think: reporters covering each individual college, or student organizations), diversity in The Post’s newsroom and in its coverage and in a more engaging brand image.

One of the most valuable aspects of their training, though, will be explaining where The Post could have done better. That’s where our readers come in.

By shooting me a quick email or grabbing coffee in Front Room to discuss previous negative experiences you may have had with our staff, or maybe just areas where you thought our coverage should have been better, The Post can evolve into a sphere that better suits your readership needs. I’m here for your thoughts, still, for the next few weeks. And like any compliant employee, I’d like to be evaluated for my performance.

Emma Ockerman is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and editor-in-chief of The Post. Want to talk to her? Email her at eo300813@ohio.edu or tweet her @eockerman