Senior wide receiver Sebastian Smith was an absolute weapon for the Bobcats, and it was a privilege to see him make a miraculous catch (or come within inches) week in and week out.

Column: OU's five most painful losses in 2016-17

In comparison, Ohio athletics tend to be some of the best programs across the Mid-American Conference. But that doesn't mean the Bobcats don't have setbacks. And often times, they lose at the most unfortunate times. Here's a list of the five worst Ohio sports moments in 2016-17. (Don't worry, the top five moments story will be published tomorrow.)

5. Women's basketball: Ohio vs. Northern Illinois (March 8)

During the last four seasons, coach Bob Boldon and his team rapidly transformed Ohio from one of its worst seasons in program history to its best — all while almost maintaining an identical roster. 

Four years ago when Ohio struggled, Boldon almost exclusively used freshmen and sophomores. When they developed — and improved — Ohio won the conference twice during the regular season, as well as one MAC Tournament title. 

To preserve the success, the Bobcats had to win the tournament in Cleveland this past March. They didn't.

Instead, they blew a 22-point lead and lost during the quarterfinals. It was a painstaking end for the best team in school history. Ohio did play in the WNIT but was bounced in the first round. 

4. Hockey: Ohio loses in national championship game (March 14) 

Earlier this season, Ohio honored its 1997 team — a team that won a national championship. Later this season, the Bobcats were three periods short from doing it again. 

Ohio lost 3-0 to Central Oklahoma in the American Collegiate Association National Championship. Even more painful, the game was played in Columbus, only 75 miles north of OU. 

3. Men's basketball: Ohio upset by Kent State in semifinals (March 11)

After Kenny Kaminski hit a game-winning shot with eight seconds left the night before, Ohio built a nice lead in the first half that eventually evaporated. 

Down 68-66 with 4.1 seconds left, the Bobcats had the chance to advance to the MAC Tournament Championship Game for the first time since 2012. Jaaron Simmons dribbled to the 3-point line, only to run into a wall of Kent State defenders. The last-second pass to Jordan Dartis came after the buzzer. 

Kent State beat Akron in the finals the next night. 

2. Antonio Campbell breaks his foot (Jan. 19)

When Campbell exited the Eastern Michigan game after three minutes the previous Saturday, there wasn't much alarm or worry from the Ohio bench. Soon after, though, the team's best player retired from Ohio hoops after sustaining a broken right foot.

The former MAC Player of the Year, Campbell was well on his way to repeating the accolade again this season. There were even talks of NBA potential. 

But those halted, at least briefly, when the program announced one of the best players in its history was retiring. 

And as much as the Bobcats tried to preserve their season afterward, it was impossible not to look back and wonder what could've been if "Big Tone" was healthy. 

1. Football: Ohio loses MAC Championship Game (Dec. 3)

Coach Frank Solich had taken the Bobcats to three previous conference championship games. All three were losses.

Entering his fourth appearance, it was a chance to snap his own streak, as well as give Ohio its first conference title since 1968. 

Trailing 29-23 with 1:24 left, quarterback Greg Windham, who was benched for a freshman earlier in the season, ultimately threw an interception. It was a painful moment for Windham, who'd already led a resurgent Bobcats team from a 9-0 deficit, only to be a few throws from a championship.

In the postgame press conference, it felt even gloomier, as Windham had to sit next to Solich. Maybe if the senior quarterback was given more time earlier in the game, the outcome could've been different. There's no doubt that was on the quarterback's mind. 

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu