The nearly 300 pounds of cocaine that were found on a plane that landed at the Gordon K. Bush Airport on March 29. (provided via U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement)

Two Canadians who landed plane at OU airport to plead guilty to cocaine trafficking

The two men who landed a plane without authorization at an Ohio University-owned airport will plead guilty to federal drug charges, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Officials said they found about 300 pounds of cocaine on the plane when they conducted a search with a warrant after its landing on March 29, according to a previous Post report.

The plane had departed from the Bahamas, and the men intended to land in Canada and distribute the cocaine there, according to a news release. Both men are from Canada.

The two landed at the Gordon K. Bush Airport at OU in Albany after discovering their plane had mechanical problems. That airport is not a port of entry, meaning no one can lawfully enter the country there.

Possessing more than five kilograms of cocaine with intent to distribute is punishable by 10 years to life in prison and a maximum fine of $10 million. The men are accused of transporting about 132 kilograms on the plane.

The two men will enter guilty pleas at hearings that have not been scheduled, according to the release.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu