Ohio redshirt senior pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey pitches against Northn Illinois during the top of the second inning at the Ohio Softball Field on Friday, February 17, 2017. The game had to be suspended until 10 AM Saturday morning because of the lack of sunlight.

Softball: Claytor's heroics give Ohio a tournament opening win

Madison Claytor has been clutch for Ohio all season. 

Whether it's collecting big hits, home runs or catching every Mid-American Conference game this season, Claytor has been one of the most important players on Ohio’s roster.

And Wednesday, against No. 7 Akron in the MAC Tournament, was no different.

After a Jamie Wren triple, Claytor hit a walk-off two-run home run in the bottom of seventh to advance the No. 2 Bobcats in the winner’s bracket.

In true Claytor fashion, she said to the MAC after the game she was just trying to score Wren any way she could because of the great work of Akron pitcher Lexie Handley on Wednesday.

Handley was the tough-luck loser for Akron — she threw a complete game and struck out two while giving up six hits and walking one.

For the Bobcats, Claytor and starting pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey came up with a great game plan to shut down the Zips.

Dorsey picked up a complete game shutout victory. She struck out seven while only allowing four hits.

It was another dominant conference start for Dorsey, who was named first team All-MAC on Tuesday. During the regular season, she sported a 1.59 ERA in MAC play.

Ohio’s next game in the MAC Tournament is Thursday against No. 3 Northern Illinois. The Huskies defeated No. 6 Miami RedHawks, 5-4, to advance in the tournament.

The Bobcats (37-14) are 2-0 this season against the Huskies (31-19). Both were close games and took place in the Ohio Softball Tournament in February. Ohio won 4-3 in 10 innings and 3-2 and had to come back from behind in both victories.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu