Ohio players line up before the start of the game against Liberty University on Jan. 15. Ohio won 6-4.

Hockey: Former ice hockey trainer lands NHL job

It didn't take long for a Bobcat to join hockey in the desert.

Former Ohio trainer Kyle Moore accepted the position as the Associate Head Athletic Trainer for the National Hockey League’s new expansion team, the Vegas Golden Knights.

Moore served as a graduated assistant at Ohio University from 2009-2011 where he was the head athletic trainer for the ice hockey team.

After leaving Ohio, Moore was an assistant athletic trainer at Albright College in Reading, Pa., primarily working with the women’s volleyball and field hockey teams as well as both the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams.

Moore has called the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area of Pennsylvania home for the past few years, serving as the head athletic trainer for the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins — the Pittsburgh Penguins’ minor league affiliates in the American Hockey League.

Moore’s experience with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton saw him managing other athletic trainers in providing proper treatment for the team. Moore also was called upon to help assist with the Pittsburgh Penguins training staff during Stanley Cup Playoff runs.

Heading out west, Moore’s duties will include the daily attentiveness that is required to keep NHL players out on the ice and out of the training room.

Moore will also lend a helping hand to the Golden Knights’ Director of Sports Performance and Head Athletic Trainer, Jay Mellette, with administrative matters.

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu