Apple has discontinued the iPod shuffle, pictured above, and iPod nano. (via Flickr Creative Commons user methodshop .com

Say goodbye to the iPod shuffle and iPod nano, says Apple

Apple confirmed the discontinuation of both the iPod shuffle and iPod nano Thursday, though the iPod touch will remain on the market.

After launching both products in 2005 and selling more than 400 million units, the devices may be one of the first Apple products purchased by many.

According to The Verge, Apple quietly removed the websites for each product, though searching for them still results in "learn more" and "buy" links. The URLs are no longer available for these links and redirects viewers to a free trial of Apple Music.

Neither product has received any major upgrades in the last few years, nor do they run iOS.

The nano received a touch screen and Bluetooth support in a 2012 update, and the shuffle received a total redesign in 2010.

An Apple representative told Business Insider they are simplifying the iPod lineup to two models of the iPod Touch, which now have double the memory capacity and start at $199.

According to Fortune, it is unclear if dwindling sales of the two products were part of the decision to discontinue, as Apple stopped announcing iPod sales two years ago and added them to the "Other Products" category of their financial reports. The previous Apple product that was discontinued was the iPod classic in 2014.

Apple will continue selling the discontinued products in stores until stock runs out.

tj369915@ohio.edu

@TF_Johnston