Ohio freshman offensive lineman Hagen Meservy (left) and junior linebacker Evan Croutch (right) pose for a portrait in Peden Stadium. Both are competing for a starting spot; Meservy is in his first year with the Bobcats, while Croutch saw action in 12 games in the 2015 season.

Football: Some Bobcats prepare to make first ever collegiate start

At some point Saturday night, the Ohio offense and defense will jog out onto the field for the first series of the game.

It will look no different than it did in practice the last four weeks, or even compared to last season. The plays will be the same, and to the unknowing eye, it would go by without any thought.

But for some players, that jog onto the field will be the first time they'll start in a college game. 

For another, it's the first time he'll play in a college game.

“I always wanted it to happen, but especially being an O lineman, you’re a lot smaller," Hagan Meservy said. "Physically, you’re not as strong as the people that have been here for five years.”

Meservy is expected to start at right guard this Saturday for an injured Durrell Wood, who has been out for the entirety of fall camp with an injury. 

A true freshman, Meservy took his first college class in the same week that he'll take his first college snap.

He will be flanked by center Jake Pruehs and right tackle Jared McCray, both seniors.

"If I’m confused on a play or don’t know what to do, I just look over and ask,” Meservy said.

He admitted that he's experiencing some nerves, but who wouldn't before his first college game?

“That goes along with every game, even high school senior year I would get nervous before each game," Meservy said. "You’ve just got to study your opponent, know what you’re playing against and prepare as much as you can.”

Someone who isn't nervous, however, is linebacker Evan Croutch. He doesn't have any reason to be.

Croutch, who will make his first career start, will line up alongside Chad Moore and Quentin Poling, two of the Mid-American Conference's best linebackers. 

“I’m not too nervous at all. I got a lot of experience last year," Croutch said. "It’s been a long time over these last two years, and I’ve been waiting for this. I’m really excited for it.”

Croutch finished with 19 tackles last season playing behind Moore, Poling and former linebacker Blair Brown. 

With the linebackers having one of the strongest units in the MAC, it might be a fun first start for Croutch.

“We’re all really excited, it was a long camp, I think we’re all excited to hit a new team,” he said.

But not all newcomers will start.

Backup quarterback Nathan Rourke will not start — that spot was won by Quinton Maxwell.  Rourke will play, although how much is unknown. All he was told was to be ready. 

“I’m just going to have as much fun as I can, it’s something that I love to do, it’s something that I’ve worked really hard and gone to crazy places just to get here," he said. "Just enjoy the moment.”

Whenever that moment comes, whether it be on the first play of the game or in the third quarter, they'll all have to be ready. Even if when they come out of the tunnel, they lose their thoughts for a moment.

“I think my mind is just gonna go blank," Meservy joked. "My football mentality is going to have to take over and play for me.”

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu