Mason Koster in net for the Nashville Jr. Predators, his NA3HL team. (photo via na3hl.com)

Hockey: Mason Koster eager to join Ohio's proven team

Mason Koster really likes to win.

So when he was offered a chance to play for one of the ACHA's winningest teams, he didn't hesitate.

"I've been playing juniors for two years and could've played a third year, but, in terms of hockey, I think this was the best offer I could get," the goalie said of Ohio. "The fact that this was such an amazing opportunity, I couldn't pass this up."

In his two years of junior hockey playing for the Syracuse Jr. Stars and Nashville Jr. Predators, Koster played in 27 games. The 20-year-old averaged a 4.97 goals-against-average in five games with Syracuse and improved that number to 3.21 in 22 games for Nashville.

Koster will likely take a back seat to sophomore Jimmy Thomas for the Bobcats — Thomas put up an outstanding 13-4-1 record with a 2.38 goals against average in his freshman season — but that's not among Koster's concerns. 

For this year, at least, Koster is hoping to be a positive influence among his new teammates and contribute to the winning vibe that has coated the Bobcats for decades.  

"Winning is important — I love to win," Koster said. "Just the sheer success of the program in general was amazing."

Koster is hoping the consistency of the team will solidify his own game and help him find a flow in net, one of the weaknesses he sees in himself.

"I need to get a rhythm down for my game a little bit better," Koster said. "Bringing 100 percent everyday to practice and games."

Coming to Ohio

Koster was first alerted about the opportunity to play for the Bobcats by his goalie coach, Jason Wolfe, who received a call from the program. 

Koster then talked with Ohio coach Sean Hogan, organized a visit and, like many people who visit Athens, Koster was enthralled after seeing what the campus had to offer.

"I think Athens was a great depiction of what Ohio looks like," Koster said. "I fell in love with (the campus). It was absolutely gorgeous."

Koster was also pleased about the opportunity to play under Hogan.

"I really like the way he coaches," Koster said. "It sounds like he's very relaxed but also very focused. He focuses a lot on habits and developing things (in practice) that will translate over to games. It's very thorough."

While Koster is excited to hit the ice with a successful program, he's also excited to return to the classroom and experience the lifestyles that suit him: learning, hockey and socializing with new people. 

"It seems like I'll get a great balance of all three of those things here at Ohio," Koster said.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu