Meet the Editors of 2017-18

HayleyHarding.jpg

Hayley Harding:

Hello hello! My name is Hayley Harding, and I’m the digital managing editor for The Post this year. I’m wildly passionate about the internet, and this year I’m focusing on expanding our multimedia presence. This is my second year as an eddy — last year, I worked in a more projects-oriented role as the assistant managing editor.

Just like last year, I study journalism and political science with a minor in sociology. My journalistic passions are public affairs and data journalism, and I’m always a fan of a good interactive map. I like writing stories that humanize bigger political issues because I think the people affected are typically much more interesting than the politicians themselves. This summer, I worked as a data journalism/investigations intern with McClatchy’s DC bureau. I’ve also worked for The Denver Post and Mental Floss.

When I’m not working at The Post, I’m also deeply involved with the Society of Professional Journalists. At this point next week, I’ll be in California at SPJ’s national conference running for a position on the national board. Outside journalism, I am trying to teach myself how to cook, which mostly just involves sautéing mushrooms because I’m not sure what the heck I’m doing in that realm. I’m excited for another great year at The Post — make sure you check out our website every day!

Kcoward.jpg

Kaitlin Coward:

Hi. I’m Kaitlin, and I’m the managing editor this year. I edit all of the stories at the top of our website and ensure that everything is running smoothly with our stories and in our newsroom.
I was a news editor last year, and I’ve covered Ohio University administration, enrollment, OU’s medical school and research. I love a good science and health story, and I also have a soft spot for sports (Chances are that when I’m not working, you’ll find me watching the U.S. Open in the newsroom for the next week and a half).
I’m from Findlay, which most people recognize because of Ben Roethlisberger. This summer, I interned on the enterprise copy desk at The New York Times through the Dow Jones News Fund and ate a lot of pasta in New York. I love grammar, colons and AP Style, and I will gladly talk your ear off about it.
If you’re a freshman on campus, welcome to OU! My main point of advice is to try a little bit of everything, and don’t hesitate to step out of your comfort zone. But also make sure to find what you love and work toward it. That’s why I’m here and why I love going to work every day.

MFernandez.jpg

Marisa Fernandez: 

I’ve been at The Post for four years, one year as a culture editor and now a senior editor. It’s an interesting and busy time to be a journalist, to say the least. And today, students must dedicate time to not only read and watch the news, but understand it. A lot of that has to do with trusting us, the media. We’ll work hard this year to have you trust us in what’s going on in Athens — this also includes those cute puppy videos and bar specials.

I recently finished up a summer internship at "CBS This Morning" in New York City where I assisted producers with stories that aired each morning and I worked in several departments within the show. A professional goal of mine is to write for a national TV network. As vice president of Scripps Hispanic Network, I try to rep my culture for my fellow Hispanic journalists and readers. When I’m not in the newsroom, I’m making my own pasta sauce and some other family Italian recipes.

Come talk to us about your concerns going on around the country, student to student. See what we have to offer you this year.