Quarterback Quinton Maxwell (7) warms up during practice in Walter Feildhouse on Monday September 6th. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Football: Ohio finishes fall camp; Maxwell named starter

Throughout fall camp, different position groups have been called in front of the team to sing the Ohio Fight Song. 

Despite a few hiccups along the way, the song normally went well enough to sound coherent. 

But Friday afternoon, the entire team sang the fight song as loudly as ever before they ended practice. Perhaps they all knew the lyrics now, or they knew they had the weekend off practice. Whatever the case, the longest fall camp was over.

“I think we made a lot of progress," defensive coordinator Jimmy Burrow said. "Some of the younger guys have stepped up to provide depth, the older guys have picked up where they left off last year with knowledge of what we’re doing.”

Fall camp began July 31, a week earlier than previous years and over a full month before the season kicked off. Due to the NCAA eliminating two-a-day practices, an extra week was added to the beginning of camp to make up for the difference.

“Effort has been really good all camp; it’s a long camp, longer than it’s ever been," Burrow said. "They’ve maintained their focus and intensity. It’s been a good camp.”

Camp culminated with a scrimmage Wednesday evening and two afternoon practices Thursday and Friday before the weekend. 

But before camp ended, coach Frank Solich gave a definitive answer to the question about the quarterback position — Quinton Maxwell will take the first snap of the season against Hampton on Sept. 2.

“I think he’s done the things that he needs to do to be the starting quarterback for this team," Solich said. "We felt all along that he should be; he’s had game snaps, he should be game ready right now."

Nathan Rourke will back up Maxwell in the first game of the season and will see snaps throughout the season.

Rourke, a sophomore transfer, has yet to take an FBS snap in his collegiate career. He last played at Fort Scott Community College before transferring to Ohio.

"Nathan will get some playing time," Solich said. "He’s a guy that’s shown well in the spring."

Aside from the now-answered quarterback position, the next-largest question is injuries. Ohio was hit hardest on the defensive line when Wyatt Shallman and Amir Miller went down with knee injuries. Miller is out for the season, while Shallman could return in November, Solich said.

Projected starting right guard Durrell Wood won't be available for the first game of the year, either, as he is "progressing slow" from an injury. Freshman Hagen Meservy got first team reps at right guard last week. 

Defensive end Kevin Robbins didn't taken a snap in fall camp, but Solich said he was questionable for the first game. Wide receiver Elijah Ball announced on Twitter that he has a torn ACL and will miss this season.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu