Ohio University sees decrease in summer enrollment

Ohio University saw a decrease in students continuing their education over the summer this year. 

This summer, 15,604 students were enrolled for summer courses at all OU campuses, while 15,969 were enrolled during the 2016 Summer Semester. Most of those students — 13,119 of them — were enrolled at the Athens campus.

Craig Cornell, the senior vice provost for strategic enrollment management, said the university experienced a slight decrease in this year’s summer enrollment numbers.

“These numbers sometimes fluctuate on an annual basis,” he said in an email. “We are seeing students taking slightly more classes on a per student basis over the summer.” 

There are two sessions during the summer during which students can choose to take courses. The first session began May 8 and the second session began June 26. 

“These figures are preliminary, day-to-day comparisons due to the fact that we have multiple sessions in the summer,” OU Spokesman Dan Pittman said in an email. 

Upon choosing to live on campus for the summer sessions, students will face some costs in addition to course fees.

All students living on campus for the summer must live in Adams Hall on South Green, which costs about $1,600 for one summer session. 

Students can choose between a 10, 14 or 20 Meal Plan. Prices vary from approximately $2,400 to $2,600. Juniors, seniors and off-campus students can also choose a block meal plan. 

A block meal plan provides fewer meals per semester for about $300.

While there may be other costs, students can benefit from summer classes too, Cornell said.

“(These benefits range) from a student’s being able to get a jump start on his or her education, to being able to finish a degree in a shorter time frame,” he said in an email.

@TF_Johnston

tj369915@ohio.edu