Kasich appoints Steve Casciani to Ohio University Board of Trustees

Just days before the Ohio University Board of Trustees meets for its August meeting in Dublin, Ohio Gov. John Kasich announced the appointment of Steve Casciani to the board.

Casciani, the creator of Border Energy, began his term Aug. 18, taking the place of David Wolfort, former trustee and the president of Olympic Steel, whose term expired earlier this year.

Border Energy, a retail supplier of electricity and natural gas that is headquartered in Powell, was formed by Casciani in 2003. In 2014, the company was acquired by IGS Energy, which provides energy to more than 1 million customers. Prior to its sale, Border Energy served more than 80,000 customers in Ohio, Indiana and Michigan.

Casciani also serves on the development board of National Church Residences and is a board member of Messenger International, a Christian charity organization, according to an OU news release. He and his family have traveled “extensively” throughout Southeast Asia and the Middle East “in an effort to support social and faith-based philanthropic efforts nationally and internationally,” according to the news release.

Following the founding of Border Energy, Casciani created Grace Light Capital, an investment agency focused on small start-up businesses in central Ohio and international social business ventures.

A University of Michigan alumnus and Powell resident, Casciani is set to serve on the board until his term expires May 13, 2026.

“We are very excited to welcome Steve to the board,” Board of Trustees Chair Janetta King said in the news release. “We look forward to his expertise and insight as our board works in partnership with President Nellis and University administration to successfully guide this amazing institution into its third century.”

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu