'Book of Mormon' is just one of 11 musicals even non-theater people will like. (Photo via @bookofmormon Instagram)

11 Broadway musicals even non-theater people can enjoy

Oftentimes, teenagers and college students receive little to no exposure to theater. After all, show tunes don’t bump at Friday night house parties and Broadway stars aren’t household names.

Many people would never even consider setting foot in a theater other than to appease their mother’s wish to, just this once, do something as a family. And that’s fine. However, it’s important to try to market musical theater to a broader audience. There is something out there for everyone. 

The Color Purple

Based on the novel by Alice Walker, this is the coming of age story of Celie, a black girl growing up in the American South in the 20th century. Celie endures trial after trial, from giving birth twice at a young age to suffering through an abusive relationship and constantly longing for a connection with her sister Nettie, from whom she was separated at a young age. This musical is a story of suffering and hardship that is resolved in its conclusion only through divine intervention. 

Who would like this? Anyone interested in problems with the presence of sexism among black people, or any race for that matter. Also, this show is perfect for people who like to see different cultures and races showcased in theater. 

Song to listen to: “I’m Here.” Find Cynthia Erivo singing it. Trust me.

Jersey Boys

Based on the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, the show highlights seemingly every tiny detail of how the ensemble came to be. This musical reveals the journey of four New Jersey boys who sing under a streetlamp for fun, as they become one of the America's greatest singing quartets. The real star of this one though, is the music. The tunes are infectious and get stuck in your head, whether you already know them or not. 

Who would like this? Anyone who likes gangster movies. That’s all these guys are. They’re gangsters who sing. 

Songs to listen to: “December, 1963!” and “Who Loves You.” Both classics. 

Parade

Parade is definitely an underrated show, even among people who largely like theater. The story looks into the real-life murder of Georgia resident Mary Phagan and the city’s residents’ role in the false accusation of a Jewish factory owner named Leo Frank. Frank is sentenced to be hanged, and, though there is clearly insufficient evidence in his accusation, the show examines the role a community can play in manipulating the truth. 

Who would like this? Anyone who likes a good mystery or is a history buff. 

Song to listen to: “That’s What He Said." The moment that seals Leo’s fate. 

Hamilton

It’s safe to say almost everyone has heard of this one by now. In case you are unfamiliar, the show tells the true life story of Alexander Hamilton — with the flair of modern hip-hop — and features several founding fathers.

Who would like this? Are you kidding? This show largely consists of rap music, which is unconventional in traditional theater productions. Beyond that, it combines historical accuracy with high-energy entertainment in a flawless fashion. Additionally, in fuses together a love story, a comedy and a tear-jerking drama.

Songs to listen to: This one’s tough. For lovers of choral music, “Wait for It.” For people interested in hip-hop, definitely “Guns and Ships.” 

In the Heights

Before writing and starring in Hamilton, Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote and cast himself as the lead in this musical. Miranda incorporates elements of rap into this score as well, and features a diverse cast. It tells the story of economically struggling Hispanic-Americans living in the small barrio of Washington Heights, New York. When a local resident wins the lottery, craziness ensues, but ultimately brings the neighborhood closer together. 

Who would like this? In the Heights might be even easier to appreciate than Hamilton, especially for college students. The show focusses on the role of home, and what can happen upon leaving. It teaches much about failure, fighting for what you believe in and losing the things we love. Also, rap. 

Song to listen to: For fans of choral music, “Breathe.” For rap fans, “96,000” has some really sick moments. 

Rent

Rent is the oldest show on the list, and probably the most widely acclaimed. The show is about a group of 20-somethings living in New York City struggling to find hope amidst the sadness that has consumed their lives. It stems from the fact that four of the characters within the group have HIV, and the others are struggling to do the things they came to New York to do, with little to no money to do it. Sounds bleak, but Rent provides hope in an unexplainable way and inspires so many to live life while they still have life to live. Not to mention the show won four Tony Awards and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1996. 

Who would like this? As far as music goes, the show is comprised of entirely rock ‘n’ roll. The angst is felt in almost every song, so any fan of rock music can enjoy this score. The show also dives into the mental effects of a condition as sad as HIV and what it’s like to live in poverty. Anyone in the mood to think deeply about life could learn a lot from this one. 

Song to listen to: “Finale B.” That’s where you'll find the line that has become the musical’s motto: “No day but today.” Try to listen without getting chills. 

Next to Normal

Another underrated production. Next to Normal tells the story of the Goodman family, and at the surface, their lives parallel the musical’s title: normal. However, it’s eventually revealed that the mother of the family, Diana Goodman, suffers from bipolar disorder and still imagines that her teenage son Gabe is in the house every single day, even though he died as an infant. The rest of the show details the family’s attempts to “fix” Diana, but it ultimately ends up telling more about the negative impacts of running from the past and what it’s like to see a family fall apart. Much like Rent, this show is a bit depressing but ends with a message of hope that can only be understood by listening to or viewing this one in its entirety. 

Who would like this? Turns out this one is quite a bit like Rent. The show is also comprised of almost solely rock music, and it’s awesome for anyone into that genre. Another demographic that would love this show is people with curious about mental illness and its effects on family life. 

Song to listen to: For the rockers, listen to “You Don’t Know” and “I Am the One.” Also,  “Light” is one not to skip over. 

The Book of Mormon

Here’s a show to lighten the mood a bit! The Book of Mormon is a satire surrounding a duo of young Mormons who are sent on their mission to a small village in Uganda that could not be less interested in their message. The show thrives on the humor of writers Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creative minds behind South Park. Strangely, The Book of Mormon relies on both the most basic elements of traditional theater and cutting-edge comedy that is not usually brought to audiences on Broadway. 

Who would like this? Anyone who enjoys South Park. The comedy in the musical is similarly controversial and potentially offensive to certain audiences, but, as many fans of the comedy writers will argue, that’s where comedy lies. In saying things that they just aren’t supposed to say. The show has this effect tenfold. 

Song to listen to: It’s important not to listen to the music too much before seeing the show, and The Book of Mormon is one show that will be ruined by listening anywhere from about the fifth song on. “Turn it Off” is a hilarious song that won’t give away too much about the story. Nothing other than a few jokes, anyway. 

Heathers

You might be thinking: Heathers, that '80s movie? Thus musical tells the same story as the movie, following a group of high school students who are way too focused on their reputations, demonstrated by the heartless and judgmental way they treat each other. The show is decidedly darker than the synopsis implies, which may be part of the reason it’s so popular among young musical theater fans. 

Who would like this? As far as plot is concerned, this is just a super gritty and more dramatic version of Mean Girls, driving home the idea that teenagers should really just start being nice to each other. This one’s truly about accepting people for their differences. Also, we’ve got yet another rock score — notice a theme? 

Song to listen to:  I love the “Dead Girl Walking (Reprise).” Fair warning, though: This song has spoilers. If you think you might see the show, try out the first “Dead Girl Walking” instead. 

Wicked

Another popular title, Wicked, might be skipped by nontraditional-theater lovers because of the fact that it’s a Broadway musical. It’s a prequel and also goes through the story of The Wizard of Oz, but it’s all from the perspective of the ironically benevolent and misunderstood Wicked Witch of the West — Elphaba. The show accounts for every conceivable detail from the classic movie, and explains how it was all a misunderstanding that put Elphaba in bad light. It is so uplifting and contains truly jaw-dropping music and visuals. 

Who would like this? This show is a little bit more targeted towards typical fans of musical theater, but it’s on this list for a reason. Many people see Wicked — people who love musicals, people who are looking for something to do with family, people whose significant other really wanted to go to the theater — but there’s one trend surrounding the show. Almost everyone who sees it falls in love. The lyrics are so genius, and the story fills them with childlike wonder. Trust me, it doesn’t matter how you feel about theater, this one will leave you floored. 

Song to listen to: Start with “Defying Gravity.” Absolutely classic. Then move on to “Thank Goodness,” a little bit more underground hit. 

Once

Yes, this show’s last on this list for a reason. If you’ve made it this far, here’s a little reward. Once is a true gem for audiences, treating them to amazingly enjoyable folk music and a heart-wrenching love story. It focuses on two characters, one named Guy and one named Girl. They meet in a bar and have a quick love story that is just so, so human. Some interesting factors of this show are that the orchestra sits on stage with the cast, and audience members can go on stage and buy drinks at the bar during intermission. It’s just so natural and simple. 

Who would like this? Anyone who likes folk music. Anyone who likes love stories. Anyone who likes guitar or piano. Anyone who breathes. Anyone who blinks. 

Song to listen to: You’ve probably already heard the ultra-famous “Falling Slowly.” If not, try that one, but then listen to the first song on the album, “Leave.” There’s just something about it. 

That was a lot. Obviously, there’s no way to make anyone see or listen to these musicals. Regardless, if nothing else, you have some new tunes to work into your Spotify playlists. There’s something for everyone. 

@alexlaflin 

al857916@ohio.edu