College Green. (File | Patrick Connolly)

5 lesser-known places on OU's campus to hang out between classes

While most new freshmen have settled into their schedules and dorms, they may not know about these “secret” spots on campus. A favorite spot in the library or dorm lounge may already be overrun by students this new academic year, and it is time to break away and find new study spots outside before the cold winter months fall upon campus and force students inside. 

1. Seigfred Mural — On the side of Seigfred Hall on North Green, just up a flight of stairs, is a secret spot perfect for hiding during class breaks. A large black and white mural facing stadium seating allows for the perfect quiet space to study or take a break from reality. At night, lights above the mural turn on so it can still be seen, making it a cool spot to look and try to figure out the meaning behind the giant art piece. 

2. Scripps Amphitheater Behind Scripps Hall on College Green is Scripps Amphitheater. While it can be used for many different events, like discussions, it is a perfect place to sit on the grass in the carved-in seats on a sunny day after class to work on homework or to sit and talk to friends.

3. Wolfe Garden — This Ohio-shaped garden sits on College Green outside of the entrance to the fourth floor of Alden Library. Surrounded by trees and filled with benches, the small park is a great way to get out of the library while still being able to study on a nice day. It will also be a great place to sit when the leaves start to change during the cool autumn days.

4. Emeriti Park — Across from Ping Center, Emeriti Park is a tranquil spot for students to come and enjoy. With benches and a gazebo overlooking the pond, the park is a nice location for students living on South Green to study and relax.

5. Stairway on East Green — The picturesque steps lead to the back of Bryan Hall on East Green. While the walk up the steps will take your breath away, there are convenient tables at the top to work on homework or eat that to-go box you got from the dining hall. Surrounded by nature and trees, it's a spot that will be beautiful in the upcoming fall months.

@hannah_burrr

hm734216@ohio.edu