Guests look at jewelry for sale at the African Student Union's 2015 African Night Friday night in Walter Hall Rotunda. (FILE)

African Night to give students a night of cultural appreciation, education

Ohio University students will be able to celebrate African culture Saturday night.

African Night, an annual event sponsored by the Ohio University African Students Union, is a “day set aside to celebrate Africa,” said Samba Bah, the president of the organization. 

It will feature food, dance, music, poetry and art, with nearly all performances being done by OU students, said Bah, a graduate student studying international development. African Night is intended to educate its attendees about the diverse culture of Africa by showcasing a wide variety of African culture. 

“There are so many misconceptions about Africa,” said Abena Nyamekye, a graduate student studying international development. “People still think that we don’t wear shoes.” 

Although many countries in Africa are still developing, the issues of poverty and infrastructure are global issues, not just existing on the African continent, Nyamekye said.

Nyamekye is looking forward to African students getting a taste of home. 

“Preparing our food is very time consuming,” she said. 

The event will provide meals from all regions in Africa, in an attempt to have meals similar to each culture, even on such a large and diverse continent. It will also feature music, fashion and other art forms from all around the continent. 

The event is limited to 150 people and is currently sold out as of press time, Bah said. 

“It sounds interesting,” Finnigan Bachman, an undecided freshman, said. “I’d like to learn more about the culture of Africa.” 

Other students, like Bell Amah, a freshman studying business, said, “I wouldn’t go if I didn’t have to go,” but were interested in other elements of African culture.

ASU serves to build the bond between Africans on campus, but also to reach out and educate other members of the university. Bah emphasized that all students are welcome in the club, whether of an African nationality or not. Nyamekye even mentioned a Japanese member that will be participating in African Night. 

“It’s all about building cultural bridges,” Bah said.

African Night is one of the two large events that ASU sponsors, the second being African Heros Gala in the spring. ASU works to bring students of all nationalities together to celebrate African culture and everyone is welcome. 

“I wouldn’t know of any students on the OU campus that wouldn’t want to be a part of the African Night event,” Nyamekye said.

@hrichards1000

hr899116@ohio.edu