Robert Dickelman (#6) breaks a tackle and turns upfield during Athens' game against Warren at R. Basil Rutter Field on Aug. 26, 2016. (FILE)

Athens Football: Bulldogs need to avoid fatigue to be succesful against Waktins Memorial

Last Friday, Athens got worn down.

In its 27-12 loss to Canal Winchester, Athens had to deal with Jacob Robertson, who by the fourth quarter was gashing the Bulldogs with five and six yard runs.

On Friday, the Bulldogs will have to worry about the Warriors' Michael Reed, who averages 7.6 yards a carry, according to MaxPreps.

In dealing with the triple option attack of Watkins Memorial, however, the Bulldogs can't just focus on Reed. 

“We have got to continue to do what we have done, a nice job so far defensively, which is pursuing the ball,” coach Ryan Adams said.

One way for the Bulldogs to avoid fatigue defensively will be to find their offensive rhythm.

Against Canal Winchester, Athens could not stay on offense long enough to give its defensive players a rest.

Some of that may be attributed to the rainy weather that the game was played in, but with the weapons the Bulldogs have, the offense needs to produce more. 

And with better weather in the forecast, the Bulldogs plan to open up their playbook.

To have any success in doing that, the Athens offensive line will have to play more like it did against Warren on Aug. 25, as compared to last week against Canal Winchester.

With Hunter Justis likely to play after being injured early against Canal Winchester, the offensive line should be stronger.

“Anytime you’re controlling the line of scrimmage, you’re going to be successful,” Adams said.

And defensively, the key to not being worn down by the triple option is easy.

“Get stops, make them punt,” Adams said.

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu