Back to Bobcat Basics: It's all about time management

The first week of school is always one of the most hectic weeks during the semester. Between the first club meetings of the year, getting back into the groove of classes and homework, getting more involved on campus, and working a part time job, you are probably overwhelmed and wondering when the next time you will have a breather. Follow some of my tips and you will find yourself back on track and ready to handle your busy schedule. 

The most important thing that I learned my freshman year was prioritize what is important to you in your day. Class and homework always take precedence for me so when I plan my day, I plan around what I need to do academically. After I set aside my schoolwork as something that I have to do without any excuses, everything else becomes easier to schedule. After academics, maybe getting involved in clubs or extracurriculars that pertain to your major is most important to you. Oh but wait, you’re one of those students that like every club meeting you try out. Don’t stretch yourself too thin and force yourself to take on your favorite one or two when you are just starting out. If you get involved in too much, everything in your life suffers because you will not be putting your all into everything you do. It’s all about quality over quantity which is a good lesson to learn in college. 

So you just finished reading my last bit of advice and now you realize that it is almost the second week of school and you already got into more than you can handle. You’re stressed and you feel bad about the extracurriculars you have to ditch in order to have a shred of your sanity intact. Don’t stress. It is the beginning of fall semester and there is still plenty of time to get involved later in the school year or next semester. Send a professional email to the club or group’s sponsor or leader letting them know you are interested but cannot commit at this point in time. This way, you will be leaving a good impression so you are always welcome back, just on your terms. 

Maybe you’re still barely juggling your classes and clubs and time management just is not your thing. This might sound crazy, but try getting a job on campus. Believe it or not, having somewhere that you have to be that does not involve schoolwork will actually force you to take advantage of time that you have and maximize your efficiency in school. Getting out of your dorm, apartment or house to be physically engaged in a job is great for your brain to take a break and focus on something else and enjoy different scenery. Not to mention you will have the opportunity to make friends and earn a few bucks for your weekend extravaganzas because having fun, and more importantly, having money to have fun is important, too.  

My most useful piece of advice to you is to keep your friends close and make time for fun things. Go to football games, take a midnight study break and get Big Mamma’s, be social and go to that party that your friend invited you to. Taking college seriously is important, but so is making your four years here worthwhile and full of memories–hopefully fun ones. 

Congratulations on making it through your first week back to school! You’ll fall into a routine before you know it and you will be out of your summer fog in no time. Take a deep breath and enjoy your long weekend, Bobcats. You earned this one! 

Rylie Brown is a junior studying journalism with a focus in news and information. Please note that the views and opinions expressed by columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Are you ready for the long weekend? Tweet her @RylieMarieBrown.