Democrats Discuss: 'Freedom of Expression' does more to chill speech than free it

Tuesday was National Voter Registration Day. I spent time registering voters throughout the day with other members of the Ohio University College Democrats. Around 9 p.m., I was with a friend registering the last few voters of the day in Baker Center while it was still open.

A staff member came up to us and warned that we had to leave because what we were doing was an activity that was considered at odds with the newly implemented “Freedom of Expression Policy.” 

The staff member acknowledged that even though we were cordially approaching individuals to engage in civil discourse, it was inappropriate conduct in the building. 

The new policy states that “demonstrations, rallies, public speech-making, picketing, sit-ins, marches, protests, and similar assemblies are not permitted in the interior spaces of university buildings.” The obvious concern that many have here is the fact that the policy bans constitutionally protected speech on public property.

An additional concern of mine is the “... and similar assemblies are not permitted” portion. This vague ban begs the question, what exactly is a protest or assembly in the eyes of the university? If they were not OK with me peacefully and non-disruptively, individually registering voters, which in no way disrupted student or faculty activities, what else will they not be OK with? This is the slippery slope of free speech regulation.

Not to mention the convenience of protesting in Baker. When it rains or snows or is dark outside, a protest is harder to stage, and not as many people show up. A public building such as Baker makes for the perfect alternative during those times. By not allowing protests in any buildings (I understand classroom buildings are not ideal for protests, but at the least, Baker Center should be a welcome place for protests), the university is simply restricting speech without offering an alternative.

This vaguely defined parameter for what is and isn’t considered assembly is a serious concern of mine and a main reason why I oppose policy 24.014, the so called “Freedom of Expression” policy.

OUCD urges the the administration to remove this restrictive policy on campus before we fall down the slippery slope of free speech regulation.

Alex Jackson is a sophomore studying strategic communications at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How has the new university policy affected you? Let Alex know by tweeting him @alexjackson716.