Fall TV Guide: What you should be watching on TV this fall

Fall is a great time for primetime TV. The season marks the beginning of the regular season, and come the end of September, your favorite shows will be on, while new series will capture your attention. 

It can be hard to figure out what shows you should be watching — and inefficient if you start a series and find it’s not what you expected. Here are the shows you should be watching this fall.

Sunday

The Orville This futuristic space comedy spoofs one of the most popular shows in history: Star Trek. Comedian Seth MacFarlane is at the head of this show, so fans of his comedic style should be sure to check this out. The Orville airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on Fox. 

Monday

The Good Doctor This new medical drama follows the life of a young doctor with autism. Freddie Highmore — known for his roles in Bates Motel and August Rush — plays Dr. Shaun Murphy, a doctor everyone doubts at first because of his disability. The show will be sure to stand out among the standard medical dramas due to its original premise. The Good Doctor premieres Sept. 25 at 10 p.m. on ABC. 

Young Sheldon The new show on CBS is an origin story for arguably the most popular character on The Big Bang Theory. That’s right, Sheldon Cooper is getting a spin-off. The sitcom will follow its parent show, which is in its 11th season, on Monday nights. There is no guarantee this show will be as popular as The Big Bang Theory, but fans of one will likely stick around to see how it compares. Young Sheldon premieres Sept. 25 at 8:30 p.m. on CBS.

Tuesday

This Is Us This is the only show people need to watch on Tuesday nights. The hit breakout drama on NBC has captured the hearts of viewers across the world and had them reaching for a box of tissues. The show takes place in two timeframes and follows the lives of a set of triplets and their parents. The show boasts a superb cast: Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia,•Sterling K. Brown, Chrissy Metz and Justin Hartley. The show is only in its second season, so catching up will be easy. The reasons to watch this show are endless, so pick up your remote and tune in. This Is Us premieres Sept. 26 at 9 p.m. on NBC

Wednesday

Riverdale Wednesdays are devoid of new series, so instead, catch up on Riverdale since it has only delivered one season. The CW’s teen drama has a successful first season and was able to hook viewers on the mysteries of the town. A binge-worthy show, people will miss out if they don’t start watching now. Riverdale premieres Oct. •11 at 8 p.m. on the CW.

Thursday 

Everything on TGIT (Thank God It's Thursday): There’s nothing like sitting in front of the TV for three hours straight.

Grey’s Anatomy Grey’s is heading into its 14th season without Dr. Stephanie Edwards (Jerrika Hinton), but some old characters are set to return to ABC’s hit medical drama. Kim Raver will reprise her role as cardiothoracic surgeon Teddy Altman, and Abigail Spencer was cast to take the role of Megan Hunt, who was found alive in the season finale. As usual, some love triangles will form, and dramatic accidents are sure to take place. Grey’s Anatomy premieres Sept. 28 at 8 p.m. on ABC.

ScandalShonda Rhimes’s political drama has reached its final season, which means fans of the show won’t be able to see Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) in action. With a woman in the Oval Office and Pope as the Chief of Staff, the show is in for a definite shake-up. The real question is what show is in the next the line of succession to nab Scandal’s coveted 9 p.m. slot on one of the most popular networks? Keep your eye out for another Rhimes drama. Scandal premieres Oct. 5 at 9 p.m. on ABC. 

How To Get Away With Murder —  Closing out ABC’s strong Thursday lineup is the law school drama that uses plot devices to its advantage. The show sets up a lot of suspense in just in the way it presents information. Everything in the show takes place in a flashback, leaving viewers on the edge of their comfy sofas. There is sure to be a lot of murder — after all, it is in the title. How To Get Away With Murder premieres Sept. 28 at 10 p.m. on ABC.

Friday

Marvel’s InhumansAs if it didn’t already consume every other screen in America, Marvel has decided to create yet another show. Despite the multitude of shows and movies Marvel distributes, people seem to devour the content. This show specifically features superheroes fighting to protect themselves. That’s kind of an interesting twist. So, if there is nothing better to do on a Friday night, check out this show. Marvel’s Inhumans premieres Sept. 29 at 9 p.m. on ABC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu